Electric/Magnetic field/flux/flux Density summary

• Thread starter ugenetic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
So your conclusions are mostly accurate, but there are some exceptions depending on the specific scenario and materials involved.
ugenetic
The original post was worded in such a horrid way, probably no one understood what I was asking, I am retyping the questions:

Imagine a fixed point in space. that point is between 2 fixed magnets of any strength and orientation as long as some magnetic field is "passing thru" that point.

another scenario for E field : imagine a fixed point in space between 2 fixed charges. Some E field passes thru that point too.

Now, with different materials placed on that point, I would like to know if all my conclusions below are correct:
[1] EMF, MMF (or dEMF, dMMF)at that point will remain the same no matter what, because EMF MMF are "drivers". "drivers" only relates to the source not the medium

[2] B and D will remain the same, no matter what material is placed on the point. because drivers causes flux. But I am clearly wrong, because flux does require MMF or EMF to divide medium. But how do you get constant flux at a point regardless of material placed on that point?

[3] then H and E will have to be different for different materials ( materials with different mu and epsilon respectively). because if flux densities remain constant, H and E has to change according to material.Or is it other way around?
I am asking, because when I studied magnetic circuit, ie. a toroid, I found in horror that, within a toriod, the B is constant thru out the material. but the H's are different when in the core and when in the air gap. The same situations can be found in D and E cases: D will be same across different materials, but E will be reduced in dielectric materials.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All these conclusion of mine, are they true or wrong?Your conclusions are mostly correct. EMF and MMF remain the same regardless of the material because they are driven by the source, not the medium. B and D will remain the same regardless of the material, but H and E will be affected by different materials due to the different permeability and permittivity of the materials. In a magnetic circuit, B is constant throughout the material, but H will be different in the core and in the air gap. Similarly, D will be the same across different materials, but E will be reduced in dielectric materials.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity. It is represented by electric field lines and its strength is measured in volts per meter.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical field that surrounds a magnet or a moving electric charge and exerts a force on other magnets or moving charges. It is represented by magnetic field lines and its strength is measured in teslas (T).

What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. In the case of electric and magnetic fields, it is the measure of the electric or magnetic field lines passing through a given area. It is measured in volts or teslas, depending on the type of field.

What is flux density?

Flux density, also known as magnetic or electric field intensity, is a measure of the strength of an electric or magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is the amount of flux passing through a unit area perpendicular to the direction of the field. It is measured in volts per meter or teslas, depending on the type of field.

How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are often considered together as the electromagnetic field. Changes in one field can induce changes in the other, and they both interact with charged particles. The strength of the magnetic field is dependent on the electric field and vice versa. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.