General World Cup and in-game discussion

In summary: Chile.Wales reached the quarter-finals in 1958, the only time they qualified.Scotland have qualified 8 times since 1954, but never got past the first round.Northern Ireland have qualified 3 times, and also reached the quarter finals in 1958. (They also held the record of the least populous country to qualify, until Trinidad and Tobago qualified in 2006).
First boring game so far with France vs Honduras

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nice to see France showing some creativity though. Not sure how many Hondurans will be left on the field by the end!

I can't say I was very impressed by Argentina in the match against Bosnia and Herzegovina, but they got somewhat better in the second half. I've voted for Argentina as a cup winner in the PF League thread, but now I'm getting second thoughts...:smile: Personally, I would like to see Italy or Netherlands winning the cup.

DennisN said:
Personally, I would like to see Italy or Netherlands winning the cup.
That's a bit premature since (a) neither of those teams is in the top eight per FIFA's perhaps dubious ranking and (b) we've only seen six of the top eight teams play in even one game. We'll see the remaining two (Germany and Portugal) tomorrow.

Of the supposed top eight teams, Spain, Uruguay, and Switzerland have been shown to be dubious placements. Spain and Uruguay were *hammered*, and the Switzerland v Ecuador game could easily have been 1-2 rather than 2-1. Argentina kinda/sorta dominated over Bosnia-Herzogavina, but it wasn't the strongest showing. Perhaps Argentina was playing complacently given that Group F is a very weak group? All they needed was a win over Bosnia to more or less ensure a lock on first in that group.

We'll see tomorrow whether Portugal needs to be added to the list of dubious top eight teams, with perhaps thanks to the Ghanian witch doctor. :approve: I predicted a tie between Germany and Portugal, but that was more wishful thinking than anything else. A tie between Germany and Portugal would bode well for the US.

Apparently the witch doctor ignored the US when he focused on jinxing Portugal. He should have set one of those four dogs aside to jinx the US as well. He didn't, so we're going to win!

D H said:
Apparently the witch doctor ignored the US when he focused on jinxing Portugal. He should have set one of those four dogs aside to jinx the US as well. He didn't, so we're going to win!
Witch doctor? :smile: Which doctor? :biggrin:

EDIT:
D H said:
I predicted a tie between Germany and Portugal, but that was more wishful thinking than anything else. A tie between Germany and Portugal would bode well for the US.
I personally like and hope for the Portuguese Team, but I think they will have a hard time against Germany.

Assuming Germany wins group G, they have a tough game in front of them in the round of 16: They have to play the second place team from group H. The games should progressively get ever more difficult. A cakewalk between group play and the quarterfinals is not a good recipe for progressing beyond the quarterfinals.

I agree. Today's Germany v Portugal game is the second best matchup in the group play, with Spain v Netherlands being #1.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Looking forward to Germany vs Portugal. Will be a very interesting game!

Get your predictions in, Greg!

D H said:
I agree. Today's Germany v Portugal game is the second best matchup in the group play, with Spain v Netherlands being #1.

Let's hope it's as good as Spain - Holland! I genuinely think it'll be a draw, though, the first of the tournament. And sorry, I can't see the US beating Ghana, but I hope I'm wrong!

I'm hoping for a draw (and of course for a US win over Ghana). That's probably wishful thinking.

Germany plays really well at the moment. Portugal too, it will be an interesting match, I think :thumbs:.

Now Portugal will need a Cristiano Ronaldo (etc) playing at maximum ability... otherwise they will be crushed, I think...

So much for my prediction of a tie. OTOH, the US won't be seeing Pepe when they play Portugal.

IMO it's not so much Portugal that plays bad, it's Germany that plays very, very well.

So far both Iberian Peninsula teams below expectations.

Well pepe really effed that game up! US to win tonight and then beat a deflated Portugal? Probably not likely, but wouldn't be surprised by much in this World Cup!

US in good shape with two good Portugal defenders out and Ronaldo going 90 on a sore knee! Must win tonight!

cristo said:
US to win tonight and then beat a deflated Portugal?
That could very well happen...

DennisN said:
IMO it's not so much Portugal that plays bad, it's Germany that plays very, very well.
I would say that Portugal played very poorly more than Germany played well.

The stupid head bump didn't help. Were it not for that head bump, the German player might well have been shown a yellow card for embellishment. The stupid head bump negated the embellishment.

It's stupid male behavior that begets red cards. I coached (and refereed, and administered) for a while. The dumbest red card of all went to one of my players who in a few short words expressed doubt about the quality of an opposing player's intelligence, the quality of his facial complexion, the opposing player's sexual preferences, and where that opposing player would spend his afterlife. RED CARD!

D H said:
one of my players who in a few short words expressed doubt about the quality of an opposing player's intelligence, the quality of his facial complexion, the opposing player's sexual preferences, and where that opposing player would spend his afterlife.

There is no doubt Pepe was talking during the head bump. I watched closely.

IMHO this match could very well go other way. CR7 was close to scoring early in the game, I am not sure about the penalty (I am not saying referee was wrong, but I am not convinced he was right either). That would mean different start and who knows what would happen then. Definitely after Pepe saw the red card Portugal team lost the steam.

Borek said:
There is no doubt Pepe was talking during the head bump. I watched closely.
"That hurt?? Let me show you *real* pain, you stupid git!"

The referee was only a few yards away. Even if he didn't hear the conversation, he certainly saw the physical conversation. That was a well deserved card.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Go USA! #IBelieveThatWeWillWin!
Wow! Goal already!

Borg said:
Wow! Goal already!

Hadn't even turned it on in time!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Go USA! #IBelieveThatWeWillWin!

Just heard the US chants -- it's not college basketball, you know ;)

USA up at half, but Ghana looks better if only they could finish. It will be a very nervous 2nd half I think.

I don't think US and A should play so very defensively as they do now, it feels like Ghana is closing in on a goal, too much defense is not good I think...

My hands hurt from too much clapping. IBelieveThatWeWillWin!

Yahoo Sports said:
John Brooks' late goal gives U.S. 2-1 win over Ghana in World Cup opener

NATAL, Brazil – The United States clinched an extraordinary, heart-stopping, last-ditch triumph over Ghana on Monday to give its World Cup campaign a magnificent start.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/john-b...over-ghana-in-world-cup-opener-000753871.html

A news reporter said that the US was vindicated. Apparently Ghana eliminated US during the last two World Cups.

Last edited:
Google seem to be overdosing on world cup doodles - some of which I didn't "get" at all.

But I like Paul the Octopus with the halo today :smile: