What to study if I want to learn more about time?

• Thread starter TimeInquirer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study Time
In summary, the conversation is about the topic of time and the person's interest in studying it. They are looking for resources, such as books or websites, that explain the details and equations behind time. They hope to make contributions to the field during their undergraduate and graduate years. The conversation also mentions the suggestion to study Relativity and Philosophy. Some recommended resources include "The Philosophy of Space and Time" by Hans Reichenbach and "The Geometry of Time" by Dierck-Ekkehard Liebscher, as well as watching Dr. Who. The concept of the arrow of time is also briefly discussed, with the suggestion to look into statistical mechanics and Roger Penrose's book "Road to Reality" for more information.
TimeInquirer
Hi, I have been very interested in the topic of time for a few years of my life thus far. I haven't been able to actually study it because, according to a physics and cosmology professor, it isn't really that well understood even up to today. Can anyone direct me a book or website that gives the details and equations behind time. I would like to strengthen my understanding of it and, perhaps, make it my field of research during my undergradute and graduate years. I am hoping to possible make some contributions to it as well. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think its a deep enough subject to have its own major. Just study Relativity.

Watch Dr. Who.

I would consider studying Philosophy, its an abstract concept which doesn't really have a empirical answer.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into all your answers especially Dr. Who.

As for why there is an arrow of time (why yesterday is different than tomorrow), look up statistical mechanics (more specfically Boltzmann entropy). Roger Penrose gives a good explanation in his book Road to Reality.

1. What is the concept of time?

The concept of time is the measurement of the duration of events or the interval between two events. It is a fundamental aspect of our daily lives and is often described as the fourth dimension in the universe.

2. What is the difference between absolute and relative time?

Absolute time refers to a fixed and universal measurement of time that is independent of any external factors. On the other hand, relative time is subjective and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. How does time relate to space?

Time and space are interconnected, forming the fabric of the universe known as spacetime. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time can be affected by the presence of mass and gravity in space.

4. What is the role of time in the study of physics?

Time is a crucial element in the study of physics as it helps us understand the motion of objects and the behavior of the universe. The concept of time is used in various equations and theories to explain the fundamental laws of nature.

5. How do scientists measure time?

Scientists use various methods to measure time, including clocks, atomic clocks, and astronomical observations. The most commonly used unit of time is the second, which is defined as the duration of 9,192,631,770 oscillations of the cesium-133 atom.