The title of PhD in math at MIT

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit Phd
In summary, the conversation covers a video clip of Harvard/MIT graduates being asked to light a bulb with a battery and wire, and the reactions and opinions of the participants. The conversation also touches on the importance of perspective and personal experiences in understanding and knowledge. The participants also share their own experiences with building electromagnets and other technical skills in their childhood. Lastly, there is a discussion about the decline of technical skills among students and a plan to conduct an experiment with the speaker's wife to see if she can light a bulb with a battery and wire.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Does someone understand why do they have two different titles which functionally are equivalent?
:biggrin:

http://math.mit.edu/academics/grad/

I must say that "Doctor of Science", aka D.Sc sounds more special than the old PhD.

BTW, another anecdotal video clip from youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MathematicalPhysicist said:
BTW, another anecdotal video clip from youtube:

I am surprised and shocked by the video. (Notice my avatar.)

My father showed me how to light a bulb with a battery and wire when I was just a wee lad. But I suppose maybe, just maybe, if he hadn't, perhaps I wouldn't have known 'till much later in life. But Harvard/MIT graduates? Ya got to be kidding me.

Last edited by a moderator:
collinsmark said:
I am surprised and shocked by the video. (Notice my avatar.)

My father showed me how to light a bulb with a battery and wire when I was just a wee lad. But I suppose maybe, just maybe, if he hadn't, perhaps I wouldn't have known 'till much later in life. But Harvard/MIT graduates? Ya got to be kidding me.

These type of "gotcha" questions aren't necessarily fair to the students being asked, nor does it give an accurate description of the know-how of these students, because we don't know in most instances beforehand what majors these students have graduated in (in the Youtube clip, one of the students confess that she's not an electrical/mechanical engineering major but that's about all we know).

For example, a MIT graduate in math wouldn't necessarily be expected to know how to power a light bulb with a battery and wire.

StatGuy2000 said:
These type of "gotcha" questions aren't necessarily fair to the students being asked, nor does it give an accurate description of the know-how of these students, because we don't know in most instances beforehand what majors these students have graduated in (in the Youtube clip, one of the students confess that she's not an electrical/mechanical engineering major but that's about all we know).

For example, a MIT graduate in math wouldn't necessarily be expected to know how to power a light bulb with a battery and wire.

Yes, I suppose you're right. The video was as much about what we've been exposed to, what we are taught, and how we think, as much as anything else.

If you've never been exposed to a simple circuit, and never bothered examining the internals of a flashlight* (before the advent of LED flashlights), you might never know.

*[Edit: that's torch for many of you European English speakers.]

It just shocks me though, because not knowing how to light a bulb with a battery and wire also means that those people have never build their own childhood electromagnet.

And I suppose my shock was due to my own perspective. Even before entering high school I built handfuls of electromagnets (good for attaching to a Tonka truck-crane to make a junkyard car-mover crane thing to move Hot-Wheel/Matchbox cars [Edit: it doesn't work on aluminum cars, but if there's any iron in them they're good to go]), ignition system for model rockets (which requires a closed circuit), radios, strobe lights, DC motors cut from sheet metal, etc. And all that was before I reached my teens.

But I suppose the video is all about perspective. What's obvious so some might not be obvious to others.

But a childhood without an electromagnet? Electromagnets are childhood's best part. You mean not all children construct their own electromagnets? Agh, it's just hard for me to imagine.

[Edit: I see a poll coming. Here it is: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=762896]

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
It just shocks me though

You must have used a high voltage battery.

collinsmark said:
not knowing how to light a bulb with a battery and wire

I have the feeling that the girl at the 1:50 mark would have been able to do it if she had been given two wires. Her statement about closed loops is correct, but she wasn't able to make the "mental leap" of closing the loop by touching the bulb to the battery.

collinsmark said:
also means that those people have never build their own childhood electromagnet.

And I suppose my shock was due to my own perspective. Even before entering high school I built handfuls of electromagnets (good for attaching to a Tonka truck-crane to make a junkyard car-mover crane thing to move Hot-Wheel/Matchbox cars [Edit: it doesn't work on aluminum cars, but if there's any iron in them they're good to go]), ignition system for model rockets (which requires a closed circuit), radios, strobe lights, DC motors cut from sheet metal, etc. And all that was before I reached my teens.

But I suppose the video is all about perspective. What's obvious so some might not be obvious to others.

But a childhood without an electromagnet? Electromagnets are childhood's best part. You mean not all children construct their own electromagnets? Agh, it's just hard for me to imagine.

It isn't so hard for me to imagine. Different people have different experiences and influences. Maybe someone else would be shocked that you didn't do "so-and-so" and "such-and-such" when you were a kid.

Still, after teaching science and engineering labs for over 20 years, I think that, overall, students technical skills have declined noticeably.

Okay, my wife has a Master's in physics and a Master's in material science engineering. Right now, she is thousands of kilometres away visiting her family. When, she gets back in a week, I am going to give her one D cell, one wire, and one bulb, and I will ask "Can you light the light?"

Any predictions? (I don't think that my wife reads Physics Forums :uhh:)

Should I start a poll?

Am I living too dangerously?

George Jones said:
Okay, my wife has a Master's in physics and a Master's in material science engineering. Right now, she is thousands of kilometres away visiting her family. When, she gets back in a week, I am going to give her one D cell, one wire, and one bulb, and I will ask "Can you light the light?"

Any predictions? (I don't think that my wife reads Physics Forums :uhh:)

Should I start a poll?

Am I living too dangerously?

If I were your wife, I'd screw the bulb into a lamp and turn on the switch. "Yes, dear. Any more questions?"

George Jones said:

lisab said:
If I were your wife, I'd screw the bulb into

Actually, prediction is that she will be able to do it without hesitation.

SteamKing said:
In many cases, the D.Sc confers added distinction to the recipient, or it may be an honorary degree (go figure).

Don't know why they have two degree labels, perhaps historical? I do know that MIT does not give out honorary degrees.

1. What are the requirements for obtaining a PhD in math at MIT?

To obtain a PhD in math at MIT, students must complete at least two years of coursework, pass comprehensive exams, and complete an original research project that culminates in a dissertation.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in math at MIT?

The average time to complete a PhD in math at MIT is 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the individual's progress and research project.

3. What opportunities are available for PhD students in math at MIT?

PhD students in math at MIT have access to a wide range of opportunities, including research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and opportunities to collaborate with faculty on cutting-edge research projects.

4. What sets the PhD program in math at MIT apart from other universities?

The PhD program in math at MIT is highly competitive and renowned for its rigorous curriculum and research opportunities. MIT also has a strong focus on interdisciplinary collaboration, allowing students to work with faculty and students from other fields to solve complex problems.

5. Can I apply for a PhD in math at MIT with a non-math background?

Yes, MIT welcomes applicants from diverse academic backgrounds. However, applicants are expected to have a strong foundation in mathematics and may be required to complete additional coursework before beginning the PhD program.