Building a telescope mount and have some questions

In summary, Mel Bartels recommends purchasing a stepper motor to use with his equatorial telescope mount, and he recommends reading Labguy's website for more information on gear systems.
Braumin
Hello everyone.

I'm finishing up my diploma in Computer Engineering Technology, and it is time to start thinking of final projects. Basically we have to build something that incorporates a microcontroller and we can do pretty much anything we want. I have decided to build an equatorial telescope mount for my reflector telescope, and have it do star tracking as well as a "go to" feature from a database of likely just the Messier objects.

I have a few questions that I really need to find some clear answers on before I can decide on what type of stepper motors etc that I will need to buy.

Should I do a Pulse Width Modulation motor for a constant speed for tracking or would a stepper motor work? How many degrees per second (or fractions of degrees) does the mount have to move to track stars? This is likely the most important question so I can get to work on finding a drive system for my mount.

Also, can anyone point me to some good websites explaining sidreal time? Google has not turned up anything that does a really good job of explaining this to me. I was thinking of just having a real time clock chip on my PCB that I could set to my local sidreal time and just have a simple way to program it if I needed to change sites. I was thinking of just having one of the big dipper stars as HOME and I could set the scope to that star and just press a button to set up my sidreal time. Would this work?

Any input is appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Braumin said:
Hello everyone.

I'm finishing up my diploma in Computer Engineering Technology, and it is time to start thinking of final projects. Basically we have to build something that incorporates a microcontroller and we can do pretty much anything we want. I have decided to build an equatorial telescope mount for my reflector telescope, and have it do star tracking as well as a "go to" feature from a database of likely just the Messier objects.

I have a few questions that I really need to find some clear answers on before I can decide on what type of stepper motors etc that I will need to buy.

Should I do a Pulse Width Modulation motor for a constant speed for tracking or would a stepper motor work? How many degrees per second (or fractions of degrees) does the mount have to move to track stars? This is likely the most important question so I can get to work on finding a drive system for my mount.

Also, can anyone point me to some good websites explaining sidreal time? Google has not turned up anything that does a really good job of explaining this to me. I was thinking of just having a real time clock chip on my PCB that I could set to my local sidreal time and just have a simple way to program it if I needed to change sites. I was thinking of just having one of the big dipper stars as HOME and I could set the scope to that star and just press a button to set up my sidreal time. Would this work?

Any input is appreciated!
Mel Bartels knows more about this stuff than about anyone in the US. From his site you can link to just about anything you would ever need to know about mounts, motors, tracking, etc, etc.

http://www.bbastrodesigns.com/cot/cot.html#DOWNLOAD

Last edited:
Yep, that's an excellent source by Labguy. The gears, not the motor are the tough part. You want the thing to make one revolution every 24 hours [ok, that's not 100% correct, but close enough]. Typically the gear system starts with a worm screw.

Last edited:
Thats a fantastic site..lol..it will take me days to look through it all.

Thanks for the link I'll start looking through that right away!

1. What materials are needed to build a telescope mount?

To build a telescope mount, you will need a sturdy base, such as a tripod or pier, a telescope tube, gears or motors for movement, a counterweight, and various hardware and tools for assembly.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and weight capacity for my telescope mount?

The size and weight capacity of your telescope mount should be determined by the weight of your telescope. Make sure to factor in the weight of any additional equipment, such as cameras or eyepieces, that you may use with your telescope.

3. Is it better to use a manual or motorized telescope mount?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the type of viewing or astrophotography you plan on doing. Manual mounts require more effort to move and track objects, but are typically more affordable. Motorized mounts allow for easier tracking and longer exposures, but can be more expensive.

4. How can I ensure that my telescope mount is stable and sturdy?

To ensure stability, make sure your mount is placed on a flat and level surface. Use sturdy and durable materials for construction and consider adding extra support or braces if needed. Regular maintenance and tightening of screws and bolts can also help maintain stability.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when building a telescope mount?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as goggles and gloves, when working with tools and materials. Make sure to follow all instructions carefully and take breaks as needed to avoid fatigue or injury. It is also recommended to have someone assist you when working with heavier or more complex components.