Men Wearing Makeup: A Trend or a Community?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of men wearing makeup and whether it is a heterosexual or homosexual trend. Some argued that it is becoming more common and accepted, while others expressed discomfort with the idea. The conversation also touched on the cultural and historical significance of men wearing makeup, with examples from different cultures and time periods. Ultimately, the general consensus was that it is a personal choice and should not be judged based on gender or sexual orientation.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have noticed MEN WEARING MAKEUP is this a heterosexual thing or is it
only the gay community, being a country boy i admit i don't keep up with
modern trends.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on which sexual orientation you think David Beckham has..:wink:

arildno said:
Well, it depends on which sexual orientation you think David Beckham has..:wink:
Hetro most surly, i know men have to wear makeup for television etc, I am talking
about general use.

In the US when I went to an up-scale mall, I'd always see manicured men walking around who would look made-up (I don't think those were gay). I definitely think that this will become a norm in the future, but I really don't think that men should start doing this :bugeye:

That males shouldn't adorn and prettify themselves is a peculiar Western tradition.
(In many other cultures, males do).

I can't see why it is a tradition which ought to be kept alive.

Monique said:
In the US when I went to an up-scale mall, I'd always see manicured men walking around who would look made-up (I don't think those were gay). I definitely think that this will become a norm in the future, but I really don't think that men should start doing this :bugeye:

In the past men have worn makeup, beauty spots, wigs, i just wonder if,
now that women wear trousers in future the only way to know male from female
is by the voice.

In the old days, in my home country of korea. There were warriors called hwarangs, who were probably the most badass warriors you could think of (besides pirates)

But they wore makeup.

Men following the Gothic lifestyle wear make up..

The only men who wear make up, have manicures, etc. are either gay or metrosexual.

I think it looks odd and I notice it right away, much like I notice a bad hair piece. And the thought of my mates "borrowing" my powder, just makes my brain scream NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is often a matter of business. I used to notice how some of the salesmen and support people, and especially the Presidents and CEOs, looked so good for their age. One day when I noticed that a 50 year old heavy drinker looked better [healthier] than a very healthy 35 year old, it finally sank in. If you look good [better than normal] you can make more money? Well, we already know that that's true generally - good looking people tend to make more money than less attractive people. So why wouldn't it apply to something like makeup that [in theory] enhances one's looks?

Monique said:

True. A lot of my friends are in the rock/goth/alternative crowd, and even though most of them don't go for the whole pale face, black lipstick, I often see a number of them with black eyeliner on. In my experience, its not really a statement about sexuality so much as a fasion thing. I've talked to a number of girls about it (from the same kind of crowd) and a lot of them do find men in makeup quite attractive.

Monique said:
you do look sooo cute, but why the eky thump should blokes look like you?

I think men and women shouldn't wear makeup. Whats with all this BS anyway.

I could care less personally. People decorate their bedrooms, why not their bodies? If men want to do it as well, so what? Personally, I neither decorate my room nor do I wear any makeup, but I nonetheless do keep up my appearance. I think I look great without it, but if I didn't, I might use some.

gravenewworld said:
The only men who wear make up, have manicures, etc. are either gay or metrosexual.
Or corpses. Don't forget corpses. Morticians are quite skilled at make-up.

Bladibla said:
In the old days, in my home country of korea. There were warriors called hwarangs, who were probably the most badass warriors you could think of (besides pirates)

But they wore makeup.

Here's a description of Bladibla's hwarang:

One of the best-known homosexual histories is the Hwarang or Flower Boy, the story of a homoerotic military elite, paralleling the Egyptian mamluks, the Japanese samurai, and the Theban Band of ancient Greece (Murray 2000). Prior to the introduction of Buddhism, ancient Korea maintained a transgendered shamanistic tradition, in which the hwarang seem to have been involved. With the transfer of religious legitimization to Buddhism, the code of the hwarang began to change from social and religious concerns to political and military programs. In the Haedong-Kosung-Chon (Lives of Eminent Korean Monks) written by the Buddhist Kakhun in 1215, the first criterion of the hwarang seems to have been appearance: “It was handsome youths who powdered their faces, wore ornamented dresses, and were respected as hwarang.” After unification of the peninsula, ruled by the Three Kingdoms, in 676, the members of hwarang were rewarded with land and slaves.

It seems they were basically similar to the Sacred Band in Thebes in more than one respect..

Last edited:
arildno said:
Bad-ass warriors??
An awful lot of warrior (classes?) use or still use make-up either for ritualistic purposes, as camoflage, or to frighten the enemy. (No one in his right mind would call an SAS commando a sissy to his face.*) And since I'm half Scots, the Highlanders back in grandpa Robert the Bruce's time wore all kinds of weird colours, often make-up without clothing, and leapt around like maniacs. (As if the bloody bagpipes hadn't scared the bejabers out of everyone already.)

*As an aside: One of the funniest things I ever saw was in that cowboy bar I worked in. 4 or 5 guys got up and started dancing together when the band started. Women dancing together is common and accepted, but over a dozen of the cowboys took objection to this atrocity. They started in with the sexual-orientation insults, which were ignored. Then threats, which were ignored. Finally they couldn't stand being ignored any more, so they decided since I as the bouncer refused to stop the dancing, they would. One of them got in one punch, which wasn't ignored, and the whole lot of them ended up leaving by ambulance. We have a Brit army training camp a few miles away, and this was the paratroopers' last night on the town before being shipped to Germany. I knew who they were, and what was going to happen, so I suppose I should feel guilty about not trying to prevent it... but I just couldn't bring myself to spoil the moment. :devil: :biggrin:

Danger, you should feel very very guilty for a millisecond or two.

wolram said:
Danger, you should feel very very guilty for a millisecond or two.
I tried, but I was laughing too hard for it to register.

Aw nuts! I just got a call to start work 3 hours early today. Gotta go.

1. Is makeup traditionally only worn by women?

No, makeup has been worn by both men and women throughout history. In ancient civilizations, men and women both used makeup for various reasons such as religious ceremonies, cultural traditions, and to enhance their appearance.

2. What has led to the recent increase in men wearing makeup?

The recent increase in men wearing makeup can be attributed to a shift in societal norms and attitudes towards gender and self-expression. There has been a rise in the acceptance and celebration of diverse gender identities and expressions, leading more men to feel comfortable and confident in experimenting with makeup.

3. Is the rise in men wearing makeup just a trend?

While there may be an element of trendiness to the increase in men wearing makeup, it is also becoming a larger and more inclusive community. Men of all ages, backgrounds, and identities are embracing makeup as a form of self-expression and creativity, rather than just a passing trend.

4. Are there any differences in the type of makeup men wear compared to women?

There are no inherent differences in the types of makeup that men and women wear. However, societal expectations and gender norms may influence the types of makeup that men feel comfortable wearing. For example, men may be more likely to stick to "masculine" makeup products such as brow gels or tinted moisturizers, while women may feel more comfortable wearing a wider range of products.

5. Is men wearing makeup becoming more accepted in the workplace?

The acceptance of men wearing makeup in the workplace varies depending on the industry and company culture. However, as more men embrace makeup as a form of self-expression, it is becoming more normalized and accepted in professional settings. Some companies even have specific policies in place to protect employees' rights to wear makeup regardless of gender.