Best Calculator for Pre-College Math/Science Classes

• Thread starter TARSIER
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, a TI-89 Titanium is a better choice than a TI-83 Silver Edition for someone who is taking an AP Calc class. However, a TI-83 or 84 can be used in some departments, and a TI-86 is a good choice for someone who is just starting out in math.
TARSIER
I'm not exactly sure if this goes here, but it has a little to do with Academics. I am entering Senior year of HS and I am taking an AP Calc class. Since my TI-83 was stolen, I now have to invest once again into a calculator. As a pre-college student planning on taking many math/science classes, would it benefit me any getting a TI-89, or actually, anything better than a TI-83? Being ever money conscious(gas has hit 3.50 in my area!), I have to be thrifty, and do not wish to make a purchase that will not be adequate later on. Please help with advice/tell me to get on another forum or w/e.

Thanks,
jay

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, having recently converted from a TI-83 Plus Silver Edition to a TI-89 Titanium, I must say that I do love my 89. Nonetheless, I received it as a gift, and didn't have to pay for it. I'm not sure what I'd tell you.

Tarsier,
Check with the math/physics department of whatever institution you are interested in attending. USUALLY a TI-83 or 84 is the most advanced calculator that can be used on tests. Some departments use HP's, I understand, but I am not familiar with them. I have a Voyage 200 and love it, but I also use my TI-83 Silver. Some folks believe that you don't need a graphing calculator at all, but in my Calc1 and Calc 2 courses, if you did not have an 83, the instructor would loan you one. Everyone had to learn the calculator.Statistics class also mandated the use of a TI-83.
Your milage may vary,
good luck to you

I haven't taken math above Calculus yet, but we couldn't use anything higher than an 83. I guess there's programs that help your solve stuff easier on them or something. Sucks, because the 89's have the best games. :(

Still, I can't imagine a calculator helping you much later on. It boils down to equations and stuff later, right? Stuff you can't just plug in and say "by the power of Christ! Solve!" and get an answer, right?

PL

My university's math department only allows one calculator, and for some courses none at all.

That calculator is the uber-powerful Sharp EL-510R

Just a note I came across this on the syllabus' for most of the math courses I looked at.

CALCULATORS: A graphics calculator is a required component in this course.All instructors and the book will use the Texas Instruments TI-83. Note: The TI-89, TI-92, and any calculator that uses a Computer Algebra System are not allowed in this course.

And

Calculators are not required in this course. You may use a graphical calculator during quizzes and exams. However, calculators with computer algebra capabilities, such as the TI-89 or the TI-92 are not permitted in in quizzes, in the midterms or in the final exam.

I would kick myself for spending the money on a calculator I couldn't use. Just throwing this out there to add to what BillBLack and Poop-Loops said.

Last edited:
I'd reccomend an 86. The layout is much less annoying than an 83, it is allowed by all of the Math Departments I have ever heard of, and it has all the power you need. The only downside is that a department geared toward 83/4s may not give you the best support for it, so you need to play with it to learn everything about it.

Geez..I didn't know about that "by the power of Christ" incantation. THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!

Pray for those in the upper Gulf Coast disaster.

Thanx all

So is the TI-83 Silver a pretty good choice all around? I really didn't know what a 89 did or w/e, i just heard and read that it was for advanced math. Thanx for all the responses

1. What makes a calculator the best for pre-college math/science classes?

The best calculator for pre-college math/science classes should have basic mathematical functions like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as scientific functions like logarithms, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. It should also have a user-friendly interface and be allowed for use during exams.

2. Can I use any calculator for pre-college math/science classes?

It depends on your school's policy. Some schools may require specific models or types of calculators, while others may allow any basic or scientific calculator. It's best to check with your teacher or school for their guidelines.

3. Is a graphing calculator necessary for pre-college math/science classes?

No, a graphing calculator is not necessary for pre-college math/science classes. It may be helpful for more advanced classes, but a basic or scientific calculator should be sufficient for most pre-college math/science courses.

4. Can I use my phone as a calculator for pre-college math/science classes?

Again, this depends on your school's policy. Some schools may allow the use of phones as calculators, while others may not. It's always best to check with your teacher or school for their guidelines.

5. How much should I spend on a calculator for pre-college math/science classes?

The cost of a calculator for pre-college math/science classes can vary depending on the brand, model, and features. However, you should be able to find a basic or scientific calculator for under $20. If you need a graphing calculator, expect to spend more, around $100 or more.