Dual Representation and anti-particles

In summary: You should be able to take it from here.(Still quite)Cheers,NormanIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dual representation in Group Theory and how it relates to the representation of anti-particles in SU(2), the gauge group for weak interactions. There is a discussion about the differences between the fundamental and contragradient representations and how they are equivalent but not the same. The conversation also touches on the importance of terminology and how the incorporation of electromagnetic interactions into weak interactions is related to the representation of particles and anti-particles.
Norman
I am reading ahead for my Group Theory introduction to QFT and I have a question about the dual representation. If the dual representation is the same as the ordinary representation, that is to say the ordinary representation is "real", how do we represent anti-particles in this case? This seems to be the case for SU(2), which is the gauge group for weak interactions.
Thanks,
Ryan

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum... Or is my question completely non-sensical?
Cheers,
Ryan

Never mind. This is actually a pretty non-sensical question I think. (It is fun having an online conversation with myself) but in case someone else has this crazy question in the future, I will answer with what I think is the correct statement. SU(2) only talks about, say, weak isospin. But to take into account the charge of a particle we would need the group SU(2) X U(1). This group would account for electroweak theory and would allow the leptonic charge to change.
Cheers,
Ryan

Norman said:
I am reading ahead for my Group Theory introduction to QFT and I have a question about the dual representation. If the dual representation is the same as the ordinary representation, that is to say the ordinary representation is "real", how do we represent anti-particles in this case? This seems to be the case for SU(2), which is the gauge group for weak interactions.
Thanks,
Ryan

I'm not sure what you mean by requiring the ordinary representation to be "real". With that caveat, here's a stab:

If you take a look at [tex]\mathcal{SU}(3)[/tex] and its triplet and dual triplet irreps, you will find that the quantum numbers of the dual are complementary to the quantum numbers of the regular representation. So I'm not really sure what you mean when you say that they are the same. Sure you can rotate one to the other, but the antiparticles carry negated quantum numbers.

Carl

CarlB said:
I'm not sure what you mean by requiring the ordinary representation to be "real". With that caveat, here's a stab:

If you take a look at [tex]\mathcal{SU}(3)[/tex] and its triplet and dual triplet irreps, you will find that the quantum numbers of the dual are complementary to the quantum numbers of the regular representation. So I'm not really sure what you mean when you say that they are the same. Sure you can rotate one to the other, but the antiparticles carry negated quantum numbers.

Carl
SU(3) has a dual, but the dual to SU(2) is equal to the ordinary rep.

Norman said:
SU(3) has a dual, but the dual to SU(2) is equal to the ordinary rep.

I see your question now. So your answer to your own question is that if one wants an antiparticle associated with a particle collection that follows an SU(2) symmetry, then one must use a different symmetry to generate the relationship between the particles and antiparticles?

Carl

By "dual" u mean "contragradient", i see, now. The fundamental and the contragradient representations of [itex] \mbox{SU(2)} [/itex] are not the same, but equivalent. This means there is a similarity transformation connecting the generators of the two representations. But you can't say "they're the same". Think of the Dirac algebra

[tex] \left[\gamma_{\mu},\gamma_{\nu}]_{+} =2g_{\mu\nu}\hat{1}_{V} [/tex]

U can't say the Dirac representation is "the same" with the Weyl and the Majorana one.

Daniel.

P.S.Terminology is important.:wink:

CarlB said:
I see your question now. So your answer to your own question is that if one wants an antiparticle associated with a particle collection that follows an SU(2) symmetry, then one must use a different symmetry to generate the relationship between the particles and antiparticles?
Carl

Yes. I believe that is the answer to the question. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

dextercioby said:
By "dual" u mean "contragradient", i see, now. The fundamental and the contragradient representations of [itex] \mbox{SU(2)} [/itex] are not the same, but equivalent. This means there is a similarity transformation connecting the generators of the two representations. But you can't say "they're the same". Think of the Dirac algebra

[tex] \left[\gamma_{\mu},\gamma_{\nu}]_{+} =2g_{\mu\nu}\hat{1}_{V} [/tex]

U can't say the Dirac representation is "the same" with the Weyl and the Majorana one.

Daniel.

P.S.Terminology is important.:wink:

Of course. Terminology is always very important. But the lecture notes we were given stated things using the terms I used in my original post. Unfortunately I have to go with what is in there mainly. Oh well, a process is learning.
Cheers,
Ryan

Even though the representations are equivalent, the weights, i.e., quantum numbers, for the representations have different signs, and hence the connection between particles and antiparticles.

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
Even though the representations are equivalent, the weights, i.e., quantum numbers, for the representations have different signs, and hence the connection between particles and antiparticles.

Regards,
George

Yes but the weights for SU(2) are just opposite in sign, so changeing their sign maps the positive one onto the negative one and vice versa. This doesn't give you 2 new particles, this brings one particle to another in the same representation. That is just the way I understand it though. I believe this is exactly why a complete theory of weak interactions must incorporate electromagnetic interactions thus giving us a SU(2) X U(1) gauge group. (this may not be WHY EM must be incorporated into Weak interactions, but it is part of the reason I think.)

Norman I am reading ahead for my Group Theory introduction to QFT and I have a question about the dual representation. If the dual representation is the same as the ordinary representation said:
take a fundamental doublet of fields, u and d, write them as a column su(2)-vector (the {2}). The conjugate doublet of antiparticle fields transforms as a row vector;(u*,d*). Now with aid of the totally antisymmetric tensor (the Levi-Civita SYMBOL) which is invariant under su(2) transformations, we may write the above as a column vector also, with (-d*) as 1st element and (u*) the 2nd.i.e the antiparticle doublet(-d*,u*) transforms exactly as the particle doublet(u,d),and belongs to the same {2}.

regards

sam

What is dual representation in particle physics?

Dual representation refers to the duality between particles and anti-particles in quantum field theory. It suggests that for every particle, there exists an anti-particle with opposite charge, spin, and other properties. This duality is essential in understanding the interactions and behavior of particles.

What are anti-particles?

Anti-particles are the mirror image of particles, having the same mass but opposite charge, spin, and other properties. For example, the anti-electron (also known as a positron) has the same mass as an electron but has a positive charge instead of a negative charge.

Why is dual representation important in particle physics?

Dual representation is essential because it allows us to understand the fundamental interactions between particles and anti-particles. It also helps explain the concept of symmetry in the universe and plays a crucial role in several important theories, such as quantum electrodynamics and the Standard Model.

How are particles and anti-particles created?

Particles and anti-particles can be created through a process called pair production, where a particle and its corresponding anti-particle are created simultaneously from a high-energy photon. They can also be created in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

Can particles and anti-particles annihilate each other?

Yes, particles and anti-particles can annihilate each other, resulting in the conversion of their mass into energy. This phenomenon is commonly observed in high-energy physics experiments and is a crucial concept in understanding the early universe and the production of elements in nuclear reactions.