Relative Velocity and Vector Resolution

In summary, the velocity of the boat relative to the shore is 5 m/s. To find the components of the velocity parallel and perpendicular to the shore, you can use the same 3, 4, 5 triangle from part A. The velocity component parallel to the shore would be the velocity of the river (+3 m/s) and the velocity component perpendicular to the shore would be the velocity of the boat relative to the river (+4 m/s).
Jacobpm64
You row a boat perpendicular to the shore of a river that flows at 3.0 m/s. The velocity of your boat is 4.0 m/s relative to the water.
a. What is your velocity of your boat relative to the shore?
b. What is the component of your velocity parallel to the shore? Perpendicular to it?
A was very easy... If you draw it out, you can easily see that it's a 3,4,5 triangle, so the answer to A is 5 m/s.
I'm not sure how to work out B. Which number do I use to find the components? Would the parallel to the shore component be 4 m/s? Would the perpendicular be 3 m/s? I'm not sure.. Or is it totally different numbers? Help with part B please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the same triangle that you drew for A to work out the components for B. It's easier than you think.

ok, which sides am i using of the triangle? it's a 3,4,5 triangle. Am i correct in saying that the velocity component parallel to the shore is the velocity of the river (+3 m/s --- since it is flowing parallel to the shore) and the velocity component perpendicular to the shore is the velocity of the boat relative to the river (+4 m/s --- since the boat is moving in a direction perpendicular to the shore)?

Sounds good to me.

thanks a lot

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object or frame of reference. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to find the difference between the velocities of the two objects or frames of reference. This can be done by subtracting the velocity of the second object from the velocity of the first object. The result will be the relative velocity.

What is vector resolution?

Vector resolution is the process of breaking down a single vector into its component parts. This is done by using trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of each component vector.

How is vector resolution used in relative velocity calculations?

In relative velocity calculations, vector resolution is used to determine the individual velocities of each object in the relative motion. By breaking down the relative velocity into its component vectors, we can calculate the velocities of the two objects separately.

What are some real-world applications of relative velocity and vector resolution?

Relative velocity and vector resolution have many practical applications, such as in navigation and transportation, weather prediction, and sports. They are also used in physics and engineering to understand the motion of objects and design efficient systems.