College policies how do I know them?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation discusses a freshman at Akron University discovering important information such as CLEP, precredit, and deadlines for dropping classes without penalty. The student expresses regret for not knowing about these things before college and asks for a book or resource that lists all of these rules and regulations. The conversation suggests using the school's catalog, which can be obtained from the registrar's office or downloaded from the website, as well as utilizing an advisor or school events calendar. The conversation concludes by reassuring the student that they will learn more about the rules and regulations as they spend more time in college.
Skhandelwal
I am a freshman at Akron University. Things like CLEP, precredit, deadline to drop classes w/o penalty, and more. Every week, I am finding more things out. If I knew about these before I went to College, I would have been much better off. So do you guys know of a book or something where I can find all of these things out?

Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably online on the school website. It's pretty easy stuff to figure out.

Don't you get an advisor from your major's department?

Skhandelwal said:
So do you guys know of a book or something where I can find all of these things out?

All colleges and universities that I know about publish a book that lists the courses that they offer, requirements for the various majors, general requirements for graduation, etc. It's usually called "the catalog". The one for my school that I have on my desk right now, is labeled "2007-08 Academic Catalog."

You should be able to get a printed copy from the registrar's office or admissions office, and maybe other places on campus. It's probably available on the college's Web site as a PDF download. Large schools might split it up into more than one volume.

Skhandelwal said:
I am a freshman at Akron University. Things like CLEP, precredit, deadline to drop classes w/o penalty, and more. Every week, I am finding more things out. If I knew about these before I went to College, I would have been much better off. So do you guys know of a book or something where I can find all of these things out?

Thx.

Most Freshman don't know this, but you'll learn it in time. Basically ask your adviser for a list or simply find a calendar of school events off their website. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Everyone who goes to college or university gets hit with these things eventually. Don't worry, plan ahead and get a course catalog and you'll get it down. Good luck in your first year!:smile:

I am not talking about course catalogs or event calenders...What I meant to ask is that how do I figure out more rules about the system of how college body operate. Ex. Clep

Skhandelwal said:
I am not talking about course catalogs or event calenders...What I meant to ask is that how do I figure out more rules about the system of how college body operate. Ex. Clep

That is why we mentioned catalogs and calendars. These are the tools you use to gain information about college deadlines and requirements. Also, you pick them up fairly quickly as you get used to college/university life. Don't worry, you'll learn more and more of the rules as you spend more and more time in school.

1. What are the main policies I need to know about in college?

It is important to familiarize yourself with your college's policies on academics, student conduct, and financial matters. These policies can usually be found on the college's website or in the student handbook.

2. How do I know if I am in violation of a college policy?

If you are unsure about a specific policy or have questions about your actions, it is best to consult with your academic advisor or a staff member in the appropriate department. They can help clarify any confusion and ensure that you are following the policies correctly.

3. Are all college policies the same at every institution?

No, each college may have slightly different policies. It is important to read and understand the policies at your specific institution to avoid any misunderstandings or consequences.

4. Can college policies change during my time as a student?

Yes, college policies can change at any time. It is important to stay informed and regularly check for any updates or changes to policies that may affect you.

5. What happens if I violate a college policy?

The consequences for violating a college policy can vary, depending on the severity of the violation and the specific policy. It is important to familiarize yourself with the consequences outlined in the policies to avoid any potential penalties.