What textbook covers advanced topics in EM for photonics research?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a textbook on electrodynamics, specifically for research on photonics. The person mentioned that they have already read Griffiths electrodynamics, but it did not cover the necessary topics. They are looking for a book that covers mathematical methods for EM problems and has strong conceptual understanding. Suggestions were given for books like Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics and Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics. The conversation also mentioned the book Electromagnetic Processes by Robert J. Gould as a potentially interesting read.
xmavidis
"Life" after Griffiths EM

Hi,

I need a textbook on electrodynamics. I have already finished Griffiths electrodynamics, a wonderful book but it does not cover the things I need now from an EM book (i.e. research on photonics).

Therefore, I need a book which covers the mathematical methods on EM problems (eg. expansion on Bessel functions, Green functions, etc) and also be strong on the conseptual concepts of EM.

I am an undergraduate planning to apply next fall to grad school.

Physics news on Phys.org

Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is precisely what you ask for! You may also want to take a look at Classical Electromagnetic Theory by Vanderlinde (at a slightly lower level).

A non-Jackson book I like is Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics book.

nicksauce said:
A non-Jackson book I like is Schwinger's Classical Electrodynamics book.

I like it...short chapters that cover one subject and allow for the digestion of the material.

Thank you for your responses.
Just got Jackson's electrodynamics.

What is Griffiths EM?

Griffiths EM, short for Griffiths Electrodynamics, is a textbook commonly used in undergraduate courses to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of electromagnetism. It covers topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electrodynamics, electromagnetic waves, and relativity.

What are some key takeaways from studying Griffiths EM?

Studying Griffiths EM can help scientists and students to develop a strong foundation in understanding the principles and phenomena of electromagnetism. It also serves as a basis for further studies in related fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics.

What are some common challenges when studying Griffiths EM?

Some students may find the mathematical and abstract concepts in Griffiths EM difficult to grasp. Additionally, the textbook assumes a basic understanding of calculus and vector calculus, which can be challenging for some students.

How can Griffiths EM be applied in real-life situations?

Griffiths EM concepts have a wide range of real-life applications, including the design and functioning of electronic devices, the production and transmission of electricity, and the understanding of electromagnetic radiation and its effects on living organisms.

Are there any other resources that can supplement the study of Griffiths EM?

Yes, there are many resources available online and in libraries that can help supplement the study of Griffiths EM. These include practice problems, lecture notes, and video tutorials. It is also beneficial to consult with professors or join study groups to further enhance understanding.