Solving for Electric Field: q1, q2, q3 & r1, r2

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear electric field magnitudes in relation to a given point, with the use of the equation E = kq / (r^2). The first two vectors are calculated using the given variables and distances, but there is difficulty in calculating the third vector. It is suggested to use Pythagoras' theorem and to find the components of r3 using the given information.
fisixC

Homework Statement

Attached picture with the given variables and questions stated.

Homework Equations

E = kq / (r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken found the linear electric field magnitudes in relationship to the point

q1 = 3.37e-9
q2 = 6.74e-9
q3 = 3.92e-9

r1 = .647m
r2 = 1.941m

E1 = (k*(q1))/(r1) = 72.3540189055
E2 = (k*(q2))/(r2) = 16.0789708679

I am having difficulty figuring out how to calculate the third vector into the total, any thoughts?

Attachments

• prob.JPG
    prob.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 491
Physics news on Phys.org

fisixC said:

Homework Statement

Attached picture with the given variables and questions stated.

Homework Equations

E = kq / (r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken found the linear electric field magnitudes in relationship to the point

q1 = 3.37e-9
q2 = 6.74e-9
q3 = 3.92e-9

r1 = .647m
r2 = 1.941m

E1 = (k*(q1))/(r1) = 72.3540189055
E2 = (k*(q2))/(r2) = 16.0789708679

I am having difficulty figuring out how to calculate the third vector into the total, any thoughts?
Hi fisixC.

Pythagoras tells us that:
r32 = r12 + r22

The y-component of r3 is |r1|/|r3| .

The x-component of r3 is ‒|r2|/|r3| .

It may also help to notice that 1.941 = 3×0.647 .

Therefore,

|r1|/|r3| = |r1|/√(10)

|r2|/|r3| = 3|r1|/√(10)

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field?

The formula for calculating electric field is E = k * q / r^2, where E is the electric field in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C), k is Coulomb's constant (9 * 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q is the charge in Coulombs (C), and r is the distance between the charges in meters (m).

2. How do I solve for electric field when there are multiple charges and distances involved?

To solve for electric field when there are multiple charges and distances involved, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that you calculate the electric field due to each individual charge separately and then add them together to get the total electric field at a specific point.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate electric field for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, you can use the same formula to calculate electric field for both positive and negative charges. The only difference is that the direction of the electric field will be opposite for positive and negative charges. For positive charges, the electric field points away from the charge, while for negative charges, the electric field points towards the charge.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse square law.

5. Is there a difference in calculating electric field for point charges and charged objects?

Yes, there is a difference in calculating electric field for point charges and charged objects. For point charges, the electric field is calculated at a specific point in space, while for charged objects, the electric field varies depending on the location within the object. In this case, you need to use integration to calculate the electric field at a specific point.