Human civilisation in 1.5 billion years

In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. Earth is about 4.5 billion years old. But even if we could find something that old, it would be difficult to identify because things change so much over that time.In summary, if all humans were to go extinct right now, what would be left of our civilisation in 1.5 billion years? Low-lying cities would not only gradually crumble, but flood and become buried under floodplains. So long as these are not subsequently eroded away, they will lithify and become a part of the sedimentary sequence until they are destroyed by erosion, or metamorphosed beyond all recognition. After 1.5 billion
Nik_2213 said:
Given that Earth's plate tectonics will inexorably move any currently 'protected' area into harm's way, normal erosion, glaciation and, ultimately, subduction will eventually wipe the slate clean...

Perhaps the last evidence to go will be the lunar landers, both US and Russian ??

Between oldest fossils known are these from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunflint_Chert - over 2 billion years.

The oldest known rock from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hills is around 3Ga, quite likely there are no fossils older than 2Ga just because there was nothing that could be fossilized.

If tectonics stops in less than 3 Ga from now (and there are reasons to believe it may happen much sooner), some remnants of what's around us should be still left.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
They are likely to wonder were all the man made satellites came from :wink:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

AtomicJoe said:
They are likely to wonder were all the man made satellites came from :wink:

The orbital paths of satellites are not perfectly stable. After 1.5GY they will all either have flown off or burnt up in the atmosphere.

Technology involves manipulation of natural materials, thereby creating unique, unnatural chemical combinations. These would leave massive geochemical signatures that any self respecting insectoid geochemist would immediately recognise. Land fill sites, urban remains, nuclear waste, all of these would tell a tale of a civiisation half glimpsed through the mists of time.

PIT2 said:
I once read a story on the internet, written by a supposed alien abductee, who said that intelligent insectoids will walk on Earth in 1.5 billion years and find no evidence that humans ever existed. :biggrin:

My question is:
If all humans were to go extinct right now, what would be left of our civilisation in 1.5 billion years?
Would a humanlike intelligence find and be able to recognise any ruins of things we built?

Assuming we don't go extinct now - shouldn't 1.5 Billion years be adequate time to figure out how to survive?

WhoWee said:
Assuming we don't go extinct now - shouldn't 1.5 Billion years be adequate time to figure out how to survive?

Since the premise of the question is "if all humans were to go extrinct right now..." then 1.5 billion years would not be long enough for our lifeless, worm-riddled corpses to figure out how to survive, no.

DaveC426913 said:
Since the premise of the question is "if all humans were to go extrinct right now..." then 1.5 billion years would not be long enough for our lifeless, worm-riddled corpses to figure out how to survive, no.

I imagine the cause of our extinction would be relevant to possible outcomes.

WhoWee said:
I imagine the cause of our extinction would be relevant to possible outcomes.

That is a separate question.

There's a show on TV right now called Life After People that explores the very question the OP is asking. It walks through what happens to the Earth a day, a week, a month, years, and centuries after humans mysteriously vanish without a trace. It's actually a really interesting show. The logjam of rusting laker ships breaking loose and going over Niagara Falls is powerful.

How humans disappear is deliberately not addressed so that the focus on the show is specifically about 'what happens to Earth without us', not about some asteriod, or volcanic eruption, which would muddy the thought experiment.

Well, the episode about Queen Elizabeth's corgies tearing Buckingham Palace apart and drinking out of all of the toilets just turned me off to the series. I couldn't take it serious after that. :rolleyes:

Evo said:
Well, the episode about Queen Elizabeth's corgies tearing Buckingham Palace apart and drinking out of all of the toilets just turned me off to the series. I couldn't take it serious after that. :rolleyes:

I remember reading an Asimov novel years ago where some travellers visited a world where the human inhabitants had become extinct some time before. An interesting oversight of the travellers was that the former inhabitants pets now roamed the cities as feral territorial predators.

What I think would be quite interesting is how animals could evolve to live in abandoned human settlements, much like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_mosquito" [Broken] AKA the London Underground Mosquito.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:

I believe that was the last episode we watched as well.

ryan_m_b said:
I remember reading an Asimov novel years ago where some travellers visited a world where the human inhabitants had become extinct some time before. An interesting oversight of the travellers was that the former inhabitants pets now roamed the cities as feral territorial predators.

What I think would be quite interesting is how animals could evolve to live in abandoned human settlements, much like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_mosquito" [Broken] AKA the London Underground Mosquito.
Sorry, I should have explained that it was the worst-silliest-poorly made tv show ever. Maybe I just caught the worst episodes. They could have made an interesting series about how things would eventually break down without upkeep, but they thought they had to make it over the top ridiculous to attract viewers.

WhoWee said:
I believe that was the last episode we watched as well.
Yeah, I'd rather rub jalapenos in my eyes than watch that series.

Evo said:
Sorry, I should have explained that it was the worst-silliest-poorly made tv show ever.

:rofl: don't worry I wasn't disputing that. It sounds foolish, as if http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Emmerich" [Broken] made a documentary.

Evo said:
Sorry, I should have explained that it was the worst-silliest-poorly made tv show ever. Maybe I just caught the worst episodes. They could have made an interesting series about how things would eventually break down without upkeep, but they thought they had to make it over the top ridiculous to attract viewers.

Yeah, I'm not sure we are talking about the same show.

Borek said:
Hard to tell. They go at around 15-17 km/s right now, so if nothing happens they will cover around 53 kly (unless I did some mistake, quite possible). That's about half diameter of our Galaxy - but it doesn't mean that will be the distance from Earth, as both Voyagers and Earth orbit galaxy center, so they don't go in straight lines.

what will happen after the voyager 1 goes outside the heliopause? how will the stellar winds affect the spacecraft ?i is it possible to maintain contact with it after it goes outside the heliopause?

I'm very confused about this, I saw a single 90 minute show about what would happen if humans disappeared that was really quite good (no toilet drinking Corgis), Did they put out various versions of the same basic idea?

Jobrag said:

I'm very confused about this, I saw a single 90 minute show about what would happen if humans disappeared that was really quite good (no toilet drinking Corgis), Did they put out various versions of the same basic idea?

I don't think the dogs drinking from toilets was the norm - quite unfortunate - other segments were much better and quite thorough.

Hey PIT2, I had no way of e-mailing you, but I was reading an older post you made about strang radar anomolies or circles appearing on radar...I've seen very similar activity on the doppler here in Delaware several times over the past 12 months. I've also noticed quite a number of chemtrails being sprayed. Not sure if that's related, but I've been researching those circles you saw, and have found quite a number of areas that have them. I don't think they're natural. I've also noticed everytime some huge rain storm is blowing in from the west, the moment it hits northern Delaware, it completely disappears. We've had less than 1 inch in the last 6 months and so far I've calculated 14 storms that have completely evaporated into nothing when they blew through. Very weird. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Devon1123 said:
Hey PIT2, I had no way of e-mailing you,
That's what PMs are for.

I tried that, unless there was something I missed. But couldn't find a way to send a PM. If so, then my mistake.

Devon1123 said:
I tried that, unless there was something I missed. But couldn't find a way to send a PM. If so, then my mistake.

PIT2 is no longer a member of this site and so will be unable to receive messages (note the line going through his/her name) For future reference if you want to PM someone you can either click on their name and select "send private message" or go to their public profile and find the option there.

<h2>1. What will human civilization look like in 1.5 billion years?</h2><p>In 1.5 billion years, human civilization will likely look vastly different than it does today. The Earth's climate and geography will have changed significantly, potentially making certain areas uninhabitable. Humans may have evolved into a different species, and technological advancements will have drastically altered our daily lives.</p><h2>2. Will humans still exist in 1.5 billion years?</h2><p>It is difficult to predict with certainty, but it is possible that humans will still exist in some form in 1.5 billion years. Our species has already survived for over 200,000 years, and with continued advancements in medicine and technology, it is possible that we could continue to thrive for many more years to come.</p><h2>3. How will humans have adapted to their environment in 1.5 billion years?</h2><p>Humans will likely have adapted to their environment in a variety of ways in 1.5 billion years. With the potential for extreme climate change, humans may have developed new methods of living and surviving in different environments. Additionally, genetic engineering and technological enhancements may have allowed humans to adapt to their environment in ways we cannot currently imagine.</p><h2>4. Will there be other intelligent species on Earth in 1.5 billion years?</h2><p>It is possible that other intelligent species could evolve on Earth in 1.5 billion years. However, it is also possible that humans will have either wiped out or dominated any other intelligent species that may have emerged. The future of Earth's biodiversity and evolution is uncertain and heavily influenced by human actions.</p><h2>5. How will human society be structured in 1.5 billion years?</h2><p>It is difficult to predict how human society will be structured in 1.5 billion years, as it will depend on many factors such as technological advancements, societal values, and potential conflicts. However, it is possible that societal structures will be vastly different from what we know today, with potential changes in government, economics, and social norms.</p>

1. What will human civilization look like in 1.5 billion years?

In 1.5 billion years, human civilization will likely look vastly different than it does today. The Earth's climate and geography will have changed significantly, potentially making certain areas uninhabitable. Humans may have evolved into a different species, and technological advancements will have drastically altered our daily lives.

2. Will humans still exist in 1.5 billion years?

It is difficult to predict with certainty, but it is possible that humans will still exist in some form in 1.5 billion years. Our species has already survived for over 200,000 years, and with continued advancements in medicine and technology, it is possible that we could continue to thrive for many more years to come.

3. How will humans have adapted to their environment in 1.5 billion years?

Humans will likely have adapted to their environment in a variety of ways in 1.5 billion years. With the potential for extreme climate change, humans may have developed new methods of living and surviving in different environments. Additionally, genetic engineering and technological enhancements may have allowed humans to adapt to their environment in ways we cannot currently imagine.

4. Will there be other intelligent species on Earth in 1.5 billion years?

It is possible that other intelligent species could evolve on Earth in 1.5 billion years. However, it is also possible that humans will have either wiped out or dominated any other intelligent species that may have emerged. The future of Earth's biodiversity and evolution is uncertain and heavily influenced by human actions.

5. How will human society be structured in 1.5 billion years?

It is difficult to predict how human society will be structured in 1.5 billion years, as it will depend on many factors such as technological advancements, societal values, and potential conflicts. However, it is possible that societal structures will be vastly different from what we know today, with potential changes in government, economics, and social norms.