Typo in FAQ article about cardinality

• Thread starter Petek
  • Start date
In summary, The FAQ article How does cardinality work? contains a typo in the section titled The rational numbers are countable, where the phrase "positive integers" should be replaced with "rational numbers." The best way to report this typo is by using the Report button, and the correction has been made. The author of the article, Greg Bernhardt, may not always be responsible for the content as it is managed by a team of staff members.
Petek
Gold Member
The FAQ article How does cardinality work? contains a typo. The last sentence of the section titled The rational numbers are countable states

So by applying Cantor-Bernstein-Schroder, we have that the positive integers are countable.

The underlined phrase should be replaced by "rational numbers."

Physics news on Phys.org

Petek said:
The FAQ article How does cardinality work? contains a typo. The last sentence of the section titled The rational numbers are countable states

The underlined phrase should be replaced by "rational numbers."

Is there a button to report the Library item? That would be the quickest way to get it fixed, I think.

Well, when you press the Report button it states

Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) and unappropriated posts.

so I didn't think it was appropriate to report a typo that way. I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.

Petek said:
Well, when you press the Report button it states

so I didn't think it was appropriate to report a typo that way. I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.

It's okay to report important typos with the Report button. Tell 'em berkeman sent you :smile:

OK, I'll report the post. Thanks for the advice.

The FAQ entry has been corrected, thanks for reporting it.

Petek said:
I did send Greg Bernhardt (the author of the article) a PM about this matter about a month ago (June 27), but no reply.

Greg is the site owner, and in some places his name used by default - it doesn't necessarily mean he is the author. You must hit one of these moments when he was occupied with something else, as usually he will just forward such information to staff members well versed in math.

1. What is a "typo" in the context of a FAQ article about cardinality?

A typo, short for typographical error, refers to a mistake or error in the written text. In the context of a FAQ article about cardinality, a typo could be a spelling mistake, punctuation error, or incorrect word usage that changes the meaning or accuracy of the information.

2. How common are typos in FAQ articles about cardinality?

Typos can occur in any written text, including FAQ articles about cardinality. However, their frequency can vary depending on the quality of the article and the attention to detail of the author. Generally, reputable sources will have a lower rate of typos compared to less reliable sources.

3. Can typos in FAQ articles about cardinality affect the understanding of the content?

Yes, typos can definitely affect the understanding of the content in FAQ articles about cardinality. Even small errors can lead to confusion or misinterpretation of important information. It is important for authors to proofread their work carefully and for readers to be aware of potential typos and double-check information if needed.

4. How can I report a typo in a FAQ article about cardinality?

If you come across a typo in a FAQ article about cardinality, it is best to directly contact the author or the website owner. They will likely appreciate the feedback and can make the necessary corrections. Some websites also have a "report a typo" option or a contact form for reporting errors.

5. Are typos the only type of error that can occur in FAQ articles about cardinality?

No, there can be other types of errors in FAQ articles about cardinality, such as factual inaccuracies or outdated information. It is important for readers to critically evaluate the information they are reading and to consult multiple sources to ensure accuracy.