Interaction of two wavefunctions

by Talker1500
Tags: interaction, wavefunctions
Share this thread:
Talker1500
Aug12-13, 09:29 PM
P: 22
Hi,

I've been thinking about the following scheme: let's say I have an incoming photon ray with wavefunction ψ1 that finds a bloch electron with wavefunction ψ2. Is there any way to compute the optical coefficients (transmitivity, reflectivity etc) of the material knowing only this two ψ and the corresponding electronic DOS due to the bloch electrons?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
Simon Bridge
Aug13-13, 12:58 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,423
Yes - you are scattering a photon off an electron in a solid.
erst
Aug13-13, 11:34 PM
P: 21
The wavefunction contains complete knowledge of the system, so I think yes it should be possible to compute all materials properties in principle.

But is it meaningful to talk of a photon wavefunction? The Schrodinger equation does not apply to them. More advanced formalism is needed (fields and field operators).

Simon Bridge
Aug14-13, 01:28 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,423
Interaction of two wavefunctions

Pretty much - you will see treatments that talk about a plane-wave state for incoming photons etc. for the scattering regime ... i.e. we can certainly write down a schrodinger equation for a system composed of matter and photons in Columb gauge.

But a proper QM treatment for the interaction of photons and Bloch electrons will involve field theory or, at least, QED.

Register to reply