Matrix transformations and effects on the unit square

In summary, the conversation discusses the area of an image under a matrix transformation and how it is related to the determinant of the matrix. The individual points of the transformation are represented as vectors, and the area of the parallelogram formed by these vectors is equal to the cross product of the vectors, which can also be calculated using the sine of the angle between the vectors and their magnitudes. The advantage of using the vector form is that it also gives the direction of the cross product.
fogvajarash
I was looking over my notes today, and I realized that there was a point that isn't pretty clear.

If we have the image under T (being T a matrix transformation induced by a matrix A) of the unit square, then its area should be abs(det(A)). Why is this though? I was looking at the proof and I saw that the transformation was defined as T(i) = Ti = (a c 0) and T(j) = Tj = (b d 0) [in this case i and j are the unit vectors]. However, the area of the parallelogram made between these vectors is stated to be as [[Ai x Aj]] (without the sinθ being θ the angle these vectors make). Or is it because as if they are unit vectors, they are 90 degrees to each other?

Thank you very much.

Edit: This link (around page 1) should help if I'm not clear with my explanations http://www.math.mun.ca/~mkondra/linalg2/la2set7.pdf

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You don't need the trig function to evaluate a cross product.

Oh darn, I finally saw my notes and checked that indeed it is just the vector product lv x wl (for the trig function, it involves the magnitude of both vectors or lal lbl sinθ, which is completely different from the vector product). So this means that we can as well find the area of that parallelogram using the sine of the angle and the two magnitudes?

Thank you Simon.

The advantage of the vector form is that it gives you the direction of the cross product as well.

Consider if ##\vec{v} = (v\cos\phi,v\sin\phi,0)^t## and ##\vec{u}=(u\cos\theta, u\sin\theta, 0)^t##
Where ##\theta## is the angle ##\vec{u}## makes to the x-axis and ##\phi## is the angle ##\vec v## makes to the x axis.

Then $$\vec{u}\times\vec{v} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\hat{\imath} & \hat{\jmath} & \hat{k}\\
u\cos\theta & u\sin\theta & 0\\
v\cos\phi & v\cos\phi & 0\end{array}\right| = uv\sin(\phi-\theta)\hat{k}$$ ... which result required trig identities.

Notice that ## \theta -\phi ## is the angle between the vectors
- so the equation you are used to is just for the magnitude.

It gets trickier when you go to more than three dimensions.

Dear student,

Thank you for bringing up this question about matrix transformations and their effects on the unit square. The relationship between the area of the unit square and the determinant of the transformation matrix is an important concept in linear algebra.

To answer your question, we need to understand the concept of determinant and how it relates to matrix transformations. The determinant of a square matrix A is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of the transformation induced by A. In other words, it tells us how much the area of a shape changes under the transformation A.

When we apply a matrix transformation A to the unit square, the resulting shape is a parallelogram with sides given by the transformed unit vectors T(i) and T(j). The area of this parallelogram is given by the magnitude of the cross product between T(i) and T(j), which is represented by ||T(i) x T(j)||. This is where the term [[Ai x Aj]] comes from in your notes.

Now, since T(i) and T(j) are unit vectors, they are perpendicular to each other and the angle between them is 90 degrees. This means that the sine of the angle θ between them is 1, and therefore we can simplify the expression to just abs(det(A)).

In summary, the reason why the area of the unit square under a matrix transformation is equal to abs(det(A)) is because the determinant of A represents the scaling factor of the transformation, and the area of the resulting parallelogram is given by the magnitude of the cross product between the transformed unit vectors, which can be simplified to abs(det(A)) in this case.

I hope this explanation helps clarify your understanding. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

What is a matrix transformation?

A matrix transformation is a mathematical operation that takes a vector or set of vectors and transforms them into a new set of vectors using a matrix as a transformation rule. It is commonly used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and alter images.

How do matrix transformations affect the unit square?

The unit square refers to a square with sides of length 1 unit. When a matrix transformation is applied to the unit square, it can result in scaling, shearing, rotating, or reflecting the square. The transformed unit square may also have a different orientation or position on the Cartesian plane.

How are matrix transformations represented?

Matrix transformations are typically represented by a square matrix, where each element in the matrix represents a specific transformation. For example, the top left element may represent the scaling factor in the x-direction, while the top right element represents the shearing factor in the y-direction.

What is the difference between a 2D and 3D matrix transformation?

A 2D matrix transformation operates on objects in a two-dimensional space, while a 3D matrix transformation operates on objects in a three-dimensional space. This means that a 2D transformation will have a 2x2 matrix, while a 3D transformation will have a 3x3 matrix.

How are matrix transformations used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, matrix transformations are used to manipulate and transform 2D and 3D objects, such as images, shapes, and animations. They are used to create effects like scaling, rotating, and shearing, which are essential for creating realistic and dynamic visual images.