Light Speed: Exploring the Possibilities of e=mc2

In summary, if you are travelling at the speed of light and someone else is travelling at a slower speed nearby, the observer sees the faster person travelling at their original speed and the slower person travelling at the slower speed. If you are travelling at the speed of light and you jump out of the train, you will be travelling at the speed of light+10mph.
cappsie
Howdy,

This is my first post. Please be gentle. ;-)

I have been thinking about the speed of light.

Scenario 1: I'm on a train traveling at the speed of light. Everything in the train immediately about me appears normal. The reflection in the windows, looking down at myself, indeed anything locally around me. However, outside the train things are different relative to the observer. This I accept.

Now, were I to run along inside the train carriage at 10mph, I would be running precisely 10mph within the train - not lightspeed + 10mph.

So my questions are:
- Would an observer see the train traveling at the speed of light with me running an additionally fast 10mph?
- Were I to run and jump out of the train, would I then be traveling at lightspeed+10mph?

The e=mc2 seems to be to be spot on if related to the speed at which information travel or can be transmitted. So as long as this is not violated then, space can expand faster then the speed of light for instance.

Scenario 2: I understand that as I travel ever faster toward the speed of light, the energy required to get me there becomes infinite because my mass also becomes infinite. Is my mass a result of other gravitational bodies? Is there a measurable increase with the shuttle and its ohms burns? In my mind, if I kept applying that ohms burn, eventually I would get faster and faster, but why would my mass increase with no other influences?

All thoughts welcome. :)

Thanks,
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you cannot travel at c, your question makes no sense.

Were you travel CLOSE to the speed of light and add another speed to it, as you described, they do NOT "add" in the way you think. Look up "relativistic speed addition"

Since, as you assumed, this topic has been discussed here approximately 14,138 times, why not do a forum search?

Last edited:
Your mass does not change as you increase in speed. You can see this by using the full form of Einstein's equation. I'd type it in, but I'm on my phone and cannot. However, the equation includes a term for momentum on the right side so that the energy of an object depends on both the mass and the momentum. So while mass stays the same as you increase in speed, momentum increases, which means total energy increases without any need for mass to change.

To add to what Drakkith said, consider this: all motion is relative so talking about it only makes sense by defining the frame of reference that you are using. BUT ... regardless of what frame of reference you use, YOU are always in your own frame of reference. It then follows that according to the guy standing next to you, you are not moving at all and according to an accelerated particle at CERN, you are moving at almost the speed of light. SO ... according to your understanding, the guy next to you is convinced that your mass is the same amount that you think it is whereas the particle thinks you have a HUGE mass. How could they both be right in any absolute sense? Do you feel any more massive just because the particle thinks you are?

Last edited:
The correct formula to add a passengers speed (relative to the train) [itex]v_{relative}[/itex] to the speed of the train [itex]v_{train}[/itex] to find its speed relative to the ground [itex]v_{passenger}[/itex] , assuming both passenger and train are moving in the same direction, is [tex]v_{passenger}=\frac{v_{relative} + v_{train}}{1+\frac{v_{relative}\times v_{train}}{c^2}},[/tex] where c is the speed of light.

1. What is the significance of the equation e=mc2 in relation to light speed?

The equation e=mc2, also known as Einstein's famous mass-energy equivalence equation, shows the relationship between energy and mass. It states that the energy (e) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This equation is significant in understanding the potential of light speed, as it shows that a small amount of mass can hold a large amount of energy.

2. Is it possible for anything to travel at the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for anything with mass to travel at the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. However, particles with no mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.

3. How does light speed affect time and space?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object travels closer to the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts. This is known as time dilation and length contraction. This means that time and space are not absolute, and can be affected by the speed at which an object is traveling.

4. Can light speed be exceeded?

Currently, there is no known way to exceed the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object to the speed of light, making it impossible to exceed this speed.

5. What are the potential implications of traveling at light speed?

If we were able to travel at the speed of light, it would open up many possibilities for space exploration and travel. It would reduce the time it takes to travel to other planets and stars and could potentially lead to the discovery of new worlds and civilizations. However, there are also potential consequences, such as the effects of time dilation on aging and the risk of collisions with other objects in space.