Exploring Theoretical Physics: Summer Reading List

In summary: It's a really good read and introduces the reader to a lot of the theories and concepts behind astronomy.Thanks for the input!In summary, these experts recommend reading Brief History of Time, Hyperspace, Relativity: The Special and The General Theory, The Universe in a Nutshell, The Elegant Universe, The Universe and Multiple reality M.R. Franks, The Road To Reality, and finally Einstein's book, The Road to Reality.
kxtreme
Hi new here, I'm getting into this field of theoretical physics, and I have a goal to read several books over the summer. Currently reading Brief History of Time I guess because of its popularity. here is the list

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
Relativity: The Special and The General Theory by Albert Einstein
The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
The Universe and Multiple reality M.R. Franks
The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose

question is, should I read Einstein's book first before going after the others or does it even matter at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your understanding of physics? Have you completed high school physics yet? Leave Penrose and Einstein's books last, you probably won't understand them very well. Keep in mind these are mostly popularized physics books, not like physics textbooks. Very entertaining selection though. Have you already bought all of these? Do you know how thick The Road to Reality is?

high school AP Physics is the last physics course I've taken, and no I don't know how thick Penrose's book is

Ok I just check and it's 1140 pages, yikes!

If you really want to get into physics I would recommend picking up a basic mechanics textbook and working through that as well. The popularized physics books aren't going to teach you how to calculate. Fun reading, though! :)

read einstein. or lincoln barnetts "the universe and dr einstein." or wheelers intro to special relativity.

Light [but deep and intuition-building] reading (with few sensationalized speculations which are often found in many pop-sci books):
Feynman's QED, Geroch's General Relativity from A to B

In preparation for college physics, I agree with eep: spend some time learning basic mechanics (and electromagnetism)... and learn some basic mathematics (calculus, vector algebra, complex numbers).

The Penrose is heavy reading. The book is interesting, but I honestly doubt you will get too much out of it if you don't already have a bit of a grasp on some of the mathematics involved. He just tries to do too much in too little space in the first half of the book.

The Einstein is a bit less daunting, but still takes some brain twisting. Although the book is excellent, if you have only a surface level interest in the subject then you may want to look into some of the popular science books on the subject. If only to start off with, at least.

kxtreme said:
Hi new here, I'm getting into this field of theoretical physics, and I have a goal to read several books over the summer. Currently reading Brief History of Time I guess because of its popularity. here is the list

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
Relativity: The Special and The General Theory by Albert Einstein
The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
The Universe and Multiple reality M.R. Franks
The Road To Reality by Roger Penrose

question is, should I read Einstein's book first before going after the others or does it even matter at all?
I don't recommend Penrose's book for now.It is an excellent book (I adore it!) but too high level for now. I highly recommend the sceond book by Greene as well as ''It's about time'' by Mermin (both are two of my old teachers but I am not recommending them for this reason ;-) They are excellent). If you want to get more into the actual maths, you should then move on to Spacetime Physics by Wheeler et al and then ''Black Holes: AN introduction to GR'' if you want to get to Genreal Relativity.

thanks guys great advice

If you want a brief summary of astronomy right from past & mordern astrophysics you can read COSMOS by Carl Sagan

1. What is the importance of reading "Exploring Theoretical Physics: Summer Reading List" for a scientist?

Reading this book can provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamental concepts and theories in theoretical physics, which is essential for any scientist working in this field. It can also introduce new ideas and spark curiosity, leading to potential breakthroughs in research.

2. What topics are covered in "Exploring Theoretical Physics: Summer Reading List"?

This book covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, relativity, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and cosmology. It also includes discussions on the history and development of these theories, providing a deeper understanding of their significance.

3. Is this book suitable for those with no background in theoretical physics?

While some prior knowledge in physics can be helpful, this book is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers with no background in theoretical physics. It is a great starting point for anyone interested in exploring this field.

4. Can "Exploring Theoretical Physics: Summer Reading List" be used as a textbook for a university course?

Yes, this book can serve as a textbook for a theoretical physics course. It covers the fundamental concepts and theories in a comprehensive and organized manner, making it a valuable resource for students and professors alike.

5. Are there any additional resources recommended to supplement "Exploring Theoretical Physics: Summer Reading List"?

Yes, the author provides a list of recommended readings at the end of each chapter for readers who want to delve deeper into the topics covered. Additionally, following current research and developments in the field through scientific journals and conferences can enhance the understanding of theoretical physics.