(materials science) slip system

In summary, the FCC cubic structure has 12 slip systems, consisting of 4 {111} planes and 3 <110> directions. This is because while there are 8 {1,1,1} planes, only 4 are unique due to their parallel nature. Additionally, the apparent 6 <110> directions are actually reduced to 3 due to rotational symmetry of the cube. One can generate the other 5 face diagonals from any one, using a combination of symmetry-preserving rotations.
asdf1
for the FCC cubic, there are 12 slip systems: 4 {111} planes and 3 <110> directions...
what i don't understand is why are there 4{111} planes instead of 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many corners to a cube? How many major diagonals?

asdf1 said:
what i don't understand is why are there 4{111} planes instead of 1?
In a cube, you'll find you can draw 8 {1,1,1} planes. However, you'll also see that only 4 of these are unique - the other 4 being parallel to these and separated from them by distance of a/sqrt(3), where 'a' is the cube edge.

What I don't understand is why there are only 3 <110> directions when it looks to me like there should be 6 (2 face diagonals on each of the 3 faces).

Last edited:
Rotational symmetry - rotate the cube 90° about the normal to the face plane, and one face diagonal transforms to the other (perpendicular) diagonal.

Or rotate the cube 180° about the normal to the base and the <110> becomes <1[itex]\bar1[/itex]0>.

Last edited:
ok~ thank you!

Astronuc said:
Rotational symmetry - rotate the cube 90° about the normal to the face plane, and one face diagonal transforms to the other (perpendicular) diagonal.

Or rotate the cube 180° about the normal to the base and the <110> becomes <1[itex]\bar1[/itex]0>.
Doesn't this argue that there is only one relevant <110> direction? After all, I can generate the other 5 face diagonals from any one, using a combination of symmetry preserving rotations.

Yikes! I've completely lost touch with basic crystallography - time to hit the books.

1) What is a slip system in materials science?

A slip system refers to the specific crystal planes and directions in a material where dislocations can easily move. These planes and directions have the lowest resistance to dislocation motion and are important in determining a material's mechanical properties, such as ductility and strength.

2) How do slip systems affect a material's mechanical properties?

The slip systems in a material determine its ability to deform under stress. Materials with more slip systems tend to be more ductile, as dislocations can easily move and allow for plastic deformation. On the other hand, materials with fewer slip systems tend to be stronger and more brittle, as dislocations are restricted in their movement.

3) Can slip systems be controlled or manipulated?

While the number and orientation of slip systems are inherent to a material's crystal structure, they can be influenced by external factors such as temperature, strain rate, and impurities. For example, adding certain alloying elements can increase the number of slip systems in a material, making it more ductile and easier to deform.

4) How are slip systems observed and studied in materials science?

Slip systems can be observed and studied using various techniques such as transmission electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and atomic force microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to visualize the movement of dislocations and study the crystallographic planes and directions involved in the slip process.

5) Are slip systems present in all types of materials?

Yes, slip systems are present in all crystalline materials, including metals, ceramics, and semiconductors. However, the number and orientation of slip systems may vary depending on the material's crystal structure and the external factors mentioned earlier. Non-crystalline materials, such as glasses, do not have slip systems as they lack a regular crystalline structure.