Finding Moment of Inertia of Cantilever Beam

In summary, the problem is asking for the dimensions of the moment of inertia (I) in the equation d = PL^3/3EI. The moment of inertia is defined as the integral of r^2 with respect to mass, which has dimensions of kg*m^2. However, in mechanics of materials, the axial moment of inertia is defined as the integral of r^2 with respect to area, giving it dimensions of m^4. This fits into the given equation where I is expressed in terms of d, P, L, and E.
EE_Student
Ok I was given this problem:

Problem: The deflection d of a cantilever beam of length L is given by the mechanics of materials equation [tex]d=PL^3/3EI[/tex]Where P is the force on the end of the beam and E is the modulus of elasticity, which has the same dimensions as pressure.Determine the dimensions of I which is the moment of Inertia.

Are they simply asking you to manipulate the equation for I? If so would the following be correct? A little help would be appreciated, thanks.

[tex] I= 1/d(PL^3/3E)[/tex]:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help appreciated.

is this a dimensional problem?, like stress is F/L^2, in a gravitational system (FLT)

Generally, we define the moment of inertia for a rigid body as [tex]\int_{V} r^2 \rho dV = \int_{V} r^2 dm[/tex], so the dimension is [kg*m^2]. But, in mechanics of materials, we define the axial moment of inertia of a cross section with the area A, as [tex]\int_{A} r^2 dA[/tex], where r is the perpendicular distance of the elementary area dA to the axis for which the moment of inertia is defined, so, for example, we have [tex]I_{z}=\int_{A} y^2 dA[/tex]. So, the dimension is [m^4], which fits into your problem of expressing I out of d = PL^3 / 3EI.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam?

The moment of inertia of a cantilever beam is a measure of its resistance to bending. It is a property that depends on the shape and dimensions of the beam and can be calculated using mathematical formulas.

2. Why is it important to find the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam?

Knowing the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam is important because it helps determine the strength and stability of the beam. It is also necessary for calculating the deflection and stress of the beam under different loading conditions.

3. How is the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam calculated?

The moment of inertia of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * b * h^3, where b is the base width of the beam and h is the height of the beam. For more complex shapes, there are different equations that can be used to calculate the moment of inertia.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam?

The moment of inertia of a cantilever beam is affected by the shape, size, and distribution of the material along the beam. The distance of the material from the neutral axis also plays a role in determining the moment of inertia.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a cantilever beam be measured experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a cantilever beam can be measured experimentally by applying a known load to the beam and measuring the resulting deflection. From this data, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the beam's material properties and the applied load.