My University Classes: Too Many Hard Courses on Same Day

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
In summary, my university classes start today and I realized that all my hard classes are on the same days. It's a boring day, too-much-information day, and a boring day. The schedulers almost seem to do it for fun. I graduated this summer, so I don't have to deal with this anymore.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My university classes start today so I did the first real look at my schedule and realized: all my hard classes are on the same days!

On one day I have social and ethical issues in computer science and user interface design and on the other day I get modern physics, calculus 3 and analysis of algorithms.

Ugh. Boring day, too-much-information day, boring day, ...

Physics news on Phys.org
The schedulers almost seem to do it for fun. Glad I graduated this summer.

Alkatran said:
My university classes start today so I did the first real look at my schedule and realized: all my hard classes are on the same days!

On one day I have social and ethical issues in computer science and user interface design
Yikes! Those look crazy hard to me. Bet I'd never get a halfway decent grade in either one.

Maybe I'm just different, or weird, but I would have preferred schedules like that, where all the tough classes are packed into the same day alternating with easier classes (though, from your list, I'm not sure which ones you think are the easy ones :rofl:). The reason is that you can also alternate your studying and assignments. On the day when you have light classes, you can spend the rest of the day really studying hard because you aren't burnt out from the lectures, then on the days when your brain is just fried from the hard core classes, you can do the assignments for your easy classes.

Of course, part of it has to do with how many credits a course is worth and how many times a week it meets. If a class is meeting 3 times a week, the schedulers are being kind if they make it meet Mon, Wed, Fri, and put the 2 times a week classes on Tues, Thurs. It's just evil when they give you a class schedule with a class that meets Mon, Thurs, Fri, or Mon, Tues, Thurs, because those two days that you have it in a row just make it nearly impossible to keep up with the assignments, especially if you have a lot of other classes those days as well, so can't just spend the remainder of the day doing your assignments.

Gokul43201 said:
Yikes! Those look crazy hard to me. Bet I'd never get a halfway decent grade in either one.

Haha, philosophy and ethics classes I can do in my sleep. You don't even have to be right, as long as you argue well. There's even only going to be two 5-7 page assignements! :rofl:

Due to overload, I ended up reading Plato's Republic during the half hour before the final. It turned out that the final covered only one subject: Plato's Republic.

Aced it. :biggrin: To this day I think he never read my paper; that the grade was based what he expected and not what he actually got.

Pfft Plato...have you read Heidegger!??

cyrusabdollahi said:

No, but if I have an extra fifteen minutes I will. :biggrin:

cyrusabdollahi said:

Personally I'm a fan of...well, do i even have to actually say it?

Here is an example of a quote from Heidegger Ivan:

Nazi-ger said:
That the thingness of the thing is particularly difficult to express and only seldom expressible is infallibly documented by the history of its interpretation indicated above...The interpretations of the thingness of the thing which, predominant in the course of Western thought, have long become self-evident and are now in everday use, may be reduced to three.

(1) thingless and (2) thingness are NOT words...:ugg:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Here is an example of a quote from Heidegger Ivan:

(1) thingless and (2) thingness are NOT words...:ugg:

Umm, you do realize that Heidegger did not write in english right? Take that issue up with the translator.

Ivan Seeking said:
Due to overload, I ended up reading Plato's Republic during the half hour before the final. It turned out that the final covered only one subject: Plato's Republic.

Aced it. :biggrin: To this day I think he never read my paper; that the grade was based what he expected and not what he actually got.

Pfft. In my first year philosophy class the teacher literally READ THE EXAM TO US two days before the exam! She even told us it was the exam and that we should write down the questions! We discussed answers! :eek:

Alkatran said:
Pfft. In my first year philosophy class the teacher literally READ THE EXAM TO US two days before the exam! She even told us it was the exam and that we should write down the questions! We discussed answers! :eek:

Gotta love those classes.

Reminds me of my Poltical Economy class.

franznietzsche said:
Umm, you do realize that Heidegger did not write in english right? Take that issue up with the translator.

Yes...:uhh:

7 final exams in 3 straight days=worst entire 72 hours of my life.

Alkatran said:
That person does not deserve the title teacher and should have been fired.

Alkatran said:
How many people still got the answers wrong? :uhh: My PhD mentor used to do this with just one question on the exam. He'd tell them the question and the exact answer, remind them that it would show up on the exam in that exact wording, write it on the board, and then make a bet with the students--if every student in the class got the answer right, he'd come to class with his underwear on outside his clothing. The year I was a TA in the class, a student even got up just before the exam was about to start and reminded the class of the bet and the answer. My mentor thought he was done for that year...who would get a question wrong when they had just been reminded moments before the exam started? I was the one grading the exam, and was just dying to see everyone get that question right and give him the news. :rolleyes: He still won the bet. How can a class be handed an answer just before the exam and STILL get it wrong?

Moonbear said:
How can a class be handed an answer just before the exam and STILL get it wrong?

Never, ever, underestimate human stupidity.

How far off the mark was the errant student?

- Warren

chroot said:

- Warren
Left it blank! Didn't even try. Unless they just didn't want to see their professor's underwear. :uhh: :rofl:

There were a few others that were kind of close, but not quite, but I'd have been lenient for them since they had the concept and just hadn't regurgitated something from rote memory, just for the fun of seeing my mentor lose the bet.

chroot said:

- Warren

For the philosophy class, I didn't write down the answers for moral reasons, not stupidity. I mean for gods sake, we COVERED morals!

btw, in case it wasn't clear, what I turned in was crap. I wasn't bragging about mastering Plato in 30 minutes because I certainly didn't.

1. Why are there so many hard courses scheduled for the same day in my university?

This is likely due to a combination of factors, such as limited availability of classrooms and faculty, and the need to accommodate students' schedules and course requirements. Universities strive to offer a diverse range of courses and schedule them in a way that allows students to complete their degree requirements in a timely manner.

2. Can I request to change the schedule of my courses to avoid having too many hard courses on the same day?

It depends on the policies of your university and the availability of alternative course schedules. You may need to speak with your academic advisor or the department offering the courses to see if any changes can be made.

3. How can I manage the workload of having multiple difficult courses on the same day?

Effective time management skills and prioritization are key in managing a heavy workload. It may also be helpful to reach out to your professors and discuss any concerns or challenges you may have with the course load. Additionally, utilizing campus resources such as tutoring services or study groups can also aid in managing the workload.

4. Will having too many hard courses on the same day affect my grades?

It depends on the individual's ability to handle the workload and the specific courses being taken. Some students may thrive under a heavy course load, while others may struggle. It is important to communicate with your professors and seek support if needed to ensure academic success.

5. What should I do if I am unable to complete all the assignments and studying for my courses on the same day?

If you find yourself unable to manage the workload of multiple difficult courses on the same day, it may be necessary to reassess your schedule and make adjustments. This could include dropping a course, speaking with your professors about extensions or accommodations, or seeking academic support services. It is important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being while also striving for academic success.