PhD in Optics and Photonics. Any advice?

In summary, the conversation discussed a person's academic background and future plans to pursue a PhD in the fields of optics, photonics, lasers, and solid state. They were seeking suggestions for universities in the United States, Canada, or English taught courses in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. Some suggestions were provided such as the University of Central Florida, the University of Arizona, and the VUB TONA group. Additionally, the Wierstrauss and universities in Maryland and Indianapolis were recommended.
ratmmmb
Hi,

I got a Bachelors degree at Imperial College London (one of the top science universities in the UK) last year and I am doing a Masters degree in Optics and Photonics at the same university at the moment. Next year I would like to do a PhD but I think four years of England is probably enough (I am originally from Germany). I am interested in the fields of optics, photonics, lasers, and solid state mainly. Since there aren't that many American people here I have been having trouble finding out what universities are particularly good for these in the United States. I have looked at a few top universities there (Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech...as you can see I like the West coast). Are there any suggestions as to universities that are particularly good in these fields? This doesn't neccessarily have to be in the United States though...I am also interested in Canada, or English taught courses in Germany, Austria or Switzerland for example. Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Ben

P.S. I am enrolled to do the General GRE test in November and the GRE in Physics at the beginning of December, which seems to just be enough for most American universities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although it is about as far away from the West Coast as you can get, the University of Central Florida in Orlando has a college of Optics and Photonics. Here is a link if you are interested.
http://www.creol.ucf.edu/

The University of Arizona is pretty good in optics. They have 3 physics nobel laureates related to their optics department. Something to look into.

CREOL, Arizona, and Rochester are perhaps the most recognized optics schools in the US.

The VUB TONA group is very good.

https://tona.vub.ac.be/Tona/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks for the information! I will look into them.

For laser physics

Also, check out the Wierstrauss http://www.wias-berlin.de/research-groups/laser/index.cgi.en [Broken] back in Germany.

For the US, I'd look into Maryland http://www.ireap.umd.edu/ and Indianapolis http://www.physics.iupui.edu/

I know good people working in those places.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a PhD in Optics and Photonics?

A PhD in Optics and Photonics is a research-based doctoral degree that focuses on the study of light and its interactions with matter. It combines principles from physics, engineering, and mathematics to develop new technologies and applications for a wide range of fields, including telecommunications, biomedicine, and renewable energy.

2. What are some potential career options with a PhD in Optics and Photonics?

Graduates with a PhD in Optics and Photonics have a variety of career opportunities in both industry and academia. Some common job titles include optical engineer, research scientist, university professor, and technical consultant. They may also work in fields such as optics and photonics instrumentation, imaging and sensing, and laser technology.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Optics and Photonics?

The length of a PhD program in Optics and Photonics can vary, but it typically takes around 4-5 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation. The exact timeline may also depend on the individual's research progress and other factors such as funding and program requirements.

4. What qualities and skills are important for success in a PhD program in Optics and Photonics?

To succeed in a PhD program in Optics and Photonics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as an interest in optics and photonics research. Other important qualities include critical thinking, problem-solving, and strong communication and collaboration skills. It is also helpful to have a curious and creative mindset to drive innovative research.

5. What advice do you have for someone considering a PhD in Optics and Photonics?

My advice would be to carefully research and consider different programs and potential research topics before making a decision. It is also important to network and connect with current students and faculty in the field to gain a better understanding of the program and its requirements. Additionally, be prepared for a challenging and rewarding journey, and don't be afraid to seek support and resources from your peers, advisors, and other professionals in the field.