Finding Resources for "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" Textbook

• Thread starter complexPHILOSOPHY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an old physics textbook, "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" by Borowitz & Bornstein, for the required physics texts in different areas. The book is recommended by one person, but others suggest looking for more modern books such as Sherwin's "Basic Concepts of Physics" or Young and Freedman's "University Physics." The conversation also touches on the potential benefits of reading older books for different perspectives.
complexPHILOSOPHY
I have found an old physics text entitled "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" written by Borowitz & Bornstein, published by McGraw-Hill book company. I was curious about using this book concurrently with the physics texts required in: 4A. Mechanics; 4B. Mechanics, Fluids, Waves and Heat; 4C. Electricity and Magnetism; 4D. Electromagnetic Waves, Optics and Special Relativity; and 4E. Quantum Physics.

I can't find a link or really anything relevant to the textbook. I have searched through google, amazon and various other websites (including the publisher) but I have found no descriptions.

Also, any other books that one might recommend for use in conjunction with the required texts, would be very appreciated.

Thanks homies!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone...?

'sup homey

try searching abebooks.com

That book is very old. If I remember correctly it was published in the early 70's late 60's. I would advise you to pick a more modern book, but as to what book, I have no clue.

The only reason that I had considered it was because it tries to formulate a broad understanding of how all of these seemingly 'different' areas of physics, unify or atleast interact. It assumes knowledge of algebra, trig, geometry and basic analytic geometry and then builds the maths around the concepts as you progress -- the only thing that I am not sure about is how rigorous the text is in proofs or if that is even necessary through my first physics sequence?

The subjects listed haven't changed much since the 1930s, so a more recent book is not absolutely necessary. A lot of excellent books were written in the 1960s. Another one to look for from the same era is Sherwin, Basic Concepts of Physics, which covers mechanics, relativity, electromagnetism, QM, and stat mech.

Last edited:
I have no experience in physics but I have noticed in other areas like logic or computer programming that reading an older book can be enlightening especially if the notation is different, because seeing multiple notations helps one to see beyond the formalisms.

DAMMIT! You just reminded me that I forgot to buy my textbooks.

Young and Freedman, University Physics is known to my peers and I as the 'White Bible' . Covers everything. Gorgeous

1. Where can I find resources for "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" textbook?

There are a few different places where you can find resources for this textbook. The first place to start would be the publisher's website, as they may have additional materials available for download. You can also check online libraries or databases for supplemental materials such as worksheets, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Lastly, reaching out to other educators or online communities may also provide helpful resources.

2. Are there any online resources that align specifically with this textbook?

Yes, there are several online resources that are designed to align with "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" textbook. These include websites with interactive simulations, video tutorials, and quizzes that are specifically tailored to the concepts covered in the textbook. Some of these resources may require a subscription or purchase, so be sure to check the terms before using.

3. What kind of resources are available for visual learners?

For visual learners, there are a variety of resources available. These can include diagrams, illustrations, and animations that explain the concepts covered in the textbook. Additionally, there are videos and online simulations that can help students visualize and understand the concepts in a more interactive way. Some of these resources may also include activities and games for hands-on learning.

4. Can I find additional practice problems for the textbook?

Yes, there are many websites and databases that offer additional practice problems for "A Contemporary View of Elementary Physics" textbook. These can be found through a simple online search or by consulting with other educators. Additionally, the textbook itself may have a companion workbook or online platform that offers practice problems and quizzes for students to complete.

5. Are there any resources available for teachers to use in the classroom?

Yes, there are resources available for teachers to use in the classroom. These can include lesson plans and activities that align with the concepts covered in the textbook. Additionally, there may be online platforms or databases that provide teaching aids and materials such as worksheets, presentations, and assessments. Some of these resources may require a subscription or purchase, so be sure to check the terms before using.