Calculate the speed of aircraft

In summary: Latitude is found by subtracting the longitude from the latitude. For example, if you are at 35 degrees north, and you want to find the latitude of Los Angeles, you would subtract 35 degrees from the latitude of Los Angeles, which would give you 15 degrees latitude.
ritwik06
An aircraft flying at an altitude of 10 km finds that the sun is stationary in the sky. Calculate the speed of aircraft.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like he would be flying as fast as the Earth is spinning. Of course he would have to be going a little faster because he is higher up than the surface of the earth.

edit - Oh no, my post has committed some sort of 'Infraction' ! wtf? I guess my thoughts are no good. lol

Last edited:
Please clarify! Whats the altitude given for??

The infraction is that there was no attempt from the OP at a solution!

OP,
Use the altidude to find the radius of the circle the plane is flying around.

How long must it take to complete the full circle? If you can answer those questions you can find the speed of the plane.

There is a critical piece of info missing: latitude. A plane at 89 degrees latitude will be moving significantly slower than a plane at 0 degrees latitude.

This is just a logic problem more than numbers really. Given the sun is rising here at say 5 AM PST, it's rising at 5 AM EST [9 AM PST].

That's 4 hours, simply by that we can just get a general idea of how fast it would need to go from here to there. Even then, we can just look at the next time zone and confirm if it's true.

I feel the 10 km in the air doesn't matter; but I could be wrong =).

DaveC426913 said:
There is a critical piece of info missing: latitude. A plane at 89 degrees latitude will be moving significantly slower than a plane at 0 degrees latitude.

AngeloG said:
This is just a logic problem more than numbers really. Given the sun is rising here at say 5 AM PST, it's rising at 5 AM EST [9 AM PST].

That's 4 hours, simply by that we can just get a general idea of how fast it would need to go from here to there. Even then, we can just look at the next time zone and confirm if it's true.

I feel the 10 km in the air doesn't matter; but I could be wrong =).

Hey! Please psot only if you know exactly about the question's demand. Please don't misguide!

Integral said:
OP,
Use the altidude to find the radius of the circle the plane is flying around.

How long must it take to complete the full circle? If you can answer those questions you can find the speed of the plane.

First please clarify this point. If I just rise up to a certain height and stop. Will I move further due to rotation?

ritwik06 said:
Hey! Please psot only if you know exactly about the question's demand. Please don't misguide!
Well, you will need the latitude, otherwise you can't figure out the speed.

1. How is the speed of an aircraft calculated?

The speed of an aircraft is typically calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time. This means that the distance traveled by the aircraft is divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. The resulting number is the speed of the aircraft, usually measured in kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph).

2. What factors can affect the speed of an aircraft?

The speed of an aircraft can be affected by various factors, such as air density, wind speed and direction, temperature, and altitude. These factors can either increase or decrease the speed of an aircraft, and they must be taken into account when calculating its speed.

3. How accurate is the calculated speed of an aircraft?

The accuracy of the calculated speed of an aircraft depends on the accuracy of the data used in the calculation. If the distance and time measurements are precise, then the calculated speed will also be accurate. However, external factors such as wind and air density can also affect the accuracy of the calculated speed.

4. Can the speed of an aircraft be measured in different units?

Yes, the speed of an aircraft can be measured in different units, such as kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), or knots (nautical miles per hour). It is important to use the correct unit when reporting the speed of an aircraft to ensure accuracy and consistency.

5. How is the speed of an aircraft used in aviation?

The speed of an aircraft is a crucial factor in aviation as it affects various aspects of flight, such as fuel consumption, travel time, and safety. Pilots use the speed of their aircraft to determine the most efficient route and to ensure a smooth and safe flight. Air traffic controllers also use the speed of aircraft to maintain a safe distance between planes and to regulate air traffic flow.