Reducing radius of rotating object

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not the movement of your arms would affect your speed while spinning in outer space. The speaker's dad argues that pulling in your arms would increase your rotational speed due to a change in rotational inertia, similar to how ice skaters spin faster when they pull in their arms. The speaker initially disagreed, but now understands that this phenomenon also occurs in space.
Lemonio
i have a very basic question.
me and my dad were arguing.
he was saying that if you were spinning in outer space, (no gravity air ...) with your arms opened up, and then you move them to your sides you would spin faster.
i was saying that almost nothing you could do would change the way you were moving in outer space

Physics news on Phys.org
listen to your father

.. better still, ask that he take you to a park swing, that you experience the physics for yourself. :rofl: (This will give a very strong feel for how much air resistance is related.)

Last edited:
ok. but i was confused because i thought that in outer space with no air to act on you, you wouldn't be able to alter rotating speed. linear speed change i understand but i am confused about the rotating speed. oh whatever i will just agree

Lemonio said:
i was saying that almost nothing you could do would change the way you were moving in outer space
Your Dad is correct. While no amount of arm waving will change the motion of your center of mass--it will keep moving in a straight line at constant speed--you can speed up your rotational rate by pulling in your arms. While you can't change your angular momentum (just like you can't change your linear momentum), you can change your rotational inertia by moving your arms in or out. Pulling your arms in reduces your rotational inertia, which increases your rotational speed.

Note that this is the same effect that you see when ice skaters spin faster by pulling their arms in.

now i think i understand, but i thought that ice skaters had to do with air recistance, i guess it's not important

It happens in space quite frequently, Lemonio. That's why neutron stars and black holes rotate so much faster than they did as normal stars.

1. How does reducing the radius of a rotating object affect its speed?

Reducing the radius of a rotating object will increase its speed. This is because the rotational speed, or angular velocity, is inversely proportional to the radius. As the radius decreases, the object has to travel a shorter distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a higher speed.

2. What is the relationship between radius and centripetal force in a rotating object?

The centripetal force required to keep an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius. This means that as the radius decreases, the centripetal force needed to maintain the same speed increases. In other words, reducing the radius of a rotating object requires a greater centripetal force to keep it moving in a circular path.

3. Can reducing the radius of a rotating object cause it to lose stability?

Yes, reducing the radius of a rotating object can cause it to lose stability if the centripetal force is not enough to counteract the centrifugal force. This is why smaller objects, such as atoms and molecules, are able to rotate at higher speeds without losing stability compared to larger objects, like planets.

4. How does the mass of a rotating object affect the impact of reducing its radius?

The mass of a rotating object has no direct effect on the impact of reducing its radius. However, a smaller radius may result in a smaller moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. This means that a smaller object with a reduced radius may be able to rotate faster than a larger object with the same mass.

5. Are there any potential hazards or risks associated with reducing the radius of a rotating object?

Yes, there can be potential hazards or risks associated with reducing the radius of a rotating object. As the rotational speed increases, the object may experience increased stress and strain, which could lead to structural failure. Additionally, the increased centrifugal force can also pose a danger to nearby objects or individuals if the rotating object were to break apart.