What is the formula for rise/fall time of a sine wave?

In summary, the formula for the rise/fall time of a sine wave is dependent on the period of the sine function, which is 2π. The rise and fall time can be calculated as 1/2 of the period (π) or as 1/4 of the period (π/2) depending on the specific definition used. The values of 0.1 and 0.9 mentioned in the conversation do not seem to be relevant to this formula. The concept of time in radians is not applicable in this case. Additionally, the time for rise and fall may vary depending on factors such as wave velocity or wavelength.
Tom McCurdy
Does anyone remember the formula for the rise/fall time for a sine wave...?

I thought I could calculate it but I did it wrong apparently
t1.
[tex]V_o sin(2*\pi*f*t)=.1 V_o [/tex]

[tex]\frac{arcsin(.1)}{2 \pi f} [/tex]

t2.
[tex]V_o sin(2*\pi*f*t)=.9 V_o [/tex]

[tex]\frac{arcsin(.9)}{2 \pi f} [/tex]

t2-t1...
but that isn't right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhh would I just have to change .1 and .9 to
.2 and .8

What, exactly, do you mean by "rise and fall time". The period of the sine function, sin(x), is [itex]2\pi[/itex]- that's the "time" for an entire cycle. If, by "rise and fall" time, you mean the time for the function to go up to its highest value and then back to 0, that would be 1/2of that, [itex]\pi[/itex]. Or, you might mean the time to rise and the time to fall. Each of those would be [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Of course, then, I have no idea where you got the "0.1" and "0.9". Or even "0.2" and "0.8"!

how is time in radians ? its just the time period i suppose. And shouldn't the time for rise and fall depend upon wave velocity or wavelength ?

1. What is the definition of rise/fall time in a sine wave?

Rise/fall time in a sine wave refers to the time it takes for the wave to go from its minimum value to its maximum value (or vice versa). It measures the speed at which the wave rises or falls.

2. How is rise/fall time calculated in a sine wave?

Rise/fall time is calculated by taking the time difference between the point at which the wave reaches its minimum value and the point at which it reaches its maximum value.

3. What is the significance of rise/fall time in a sine wave?

Rise/fall time is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a sine wave. It can provide information about the frequency, amplitude, and phase of the wave.

4. How does the rise/fall time of a sine wave affect its performance in electronic circuits?

The rise/fall time of a sine wave can affect the performance of electronic circuits, as it determines the speed at which the wave can be transmitted and processed. A shorter rise/fall time can result in faster signal processing and improved circuit performance.

5. What factors can influence the rise/fall time of a sine wave?

The rise/fall time of a sine wave can be influenced by factors such as the frequency, amplitude, and phase of the wave, as well as the characteristics of the medium through which it is transmitted. Additionally, the design and components of electronic circuits can also impact the rise/fall time of a sine wave.