Modules & Algebra of Matrices: Intro Book Recommendations

In summary, there are two recommended books on modules and algebra of matrices. One is Herstein's Topics in Algebra, which offers a careful introduction and application of the theory, but with more focus on groups and rings. The other is Herstein's Topics in Ring Theory, which may have more information on modules. Additionally, the person has shared their own algebra notes on their webpage for free. However, they found the notes to be dense and suggest printing them out for better understanding.
pivoxa15
Anyone recommand readable intro books on modules and algebra of matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
my algebra notes on my webpage, and they are free.

One book I like which offers a very careful introduction to and motivation of modules and then applies the theory to linear transformations is Herstein, Topics in Algebra, Second Ed., Wiley, 1975.

Chris Hillman said:
One book I like which offers a very careful introduction to and motivation of modules and then applies the theory to linear transformations is Herstein, Topics in Algebra, Second Ed., Wiley, 1975.

Nice book but not much on modules which is unfortunate. But the other stuff about groups and rings are very nice. I like the font as well.

Apparently there is another book by him called 'Topics in ring theory'. That might have more on modules.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
my algebra notes on my webpage, and they are free.

It seemed a bit dense in every sense of the word. Maybe it might work better had I printed them out.

1. What is the difference between a module and a matrix?

A module is a mathematical structure that generalizes the concept of vector spaces, while a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. Modules can be represented by matrices, but not all matrices can be considered modules.

2. How does algebra play a role in matrices?

Algebra is used to manipulate and solve equations involving matrices. Matrices can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and inverted using algebraic operations. This allows for the solving of systems of linear equations and the calculation of determinants and eigenvalues.

3. What are some introductory books on modules and algebra of matrices?

Some recommended introductory books on modules and algebra of matrices include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Gilbert Strang, "Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra" by Carl Meyer, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang.

4. How are modules and matrices used in the field of science?

Modules and matrices are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. In physics, matrices are used to represent physical quantities and transformations. In chemistry, matrices are used to solve molecular orbital equations. In computer science, matrices are used in computer graphics and machine learning algorithms.

5. What are some real-life applications of modules and algebra of matrices?

Modules and matrices have many real-life applications, such as image and signal processing, data compression, and cryptography. In image and signal processing, matrices are used to manipulate and enhance images and signals. In data compression, matrices are used to reduce the size of data while preserving important information. In cryptography, matrices are used in encryption algorithms to secure data transmission.