Plan of Attack for 1st Year Math Undergraduate: Advice Requested

• Thread starter loonychune
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plan
In summary, The individual is seeking advice on suggested reading and where to go from here in their first year of undergraduate study. They plan on filling in gaps in calculus, working through books on classical dynamics and special relativity, and covering algebra, geometry, linear algebra, and introductory real analysis. They are interested in the mathematical/theoretical aspects of physics and prioritize mathematics in their studies. They are not involved in any research and are unsure of their specific focus within physics at this time.
loonychune
Hello all.
Would first like to compliment the forums - absolutely smashin. Good job.

I have read quite a bit on here about suggested reading and what-not, but if you have the time, i'd appreciate any advice as to where to go from here and whether I'm heading along the right lines.

Given this year's laziness (i'm a first year undergraduate), there a some fairly elementary gaps need filling, but in addition to that i am looking to work along these lines / from these books:

David V. Widder - Advanced Calculus: I think this will fill in some gaps in calculus and give me the chance to practise properly.
Riley, Hobson, Bence - Mathematical Methods
+ Arfken's book: i'll probably work through Arfken from chapters 1 to about 8 give or take certain bits and bobs, with R.H.B. to supplement this structure / provide questions..
Thornton & Marion and Kibble & Berkshire's books on classical dynamics: i will look at where i stand with mechanics and make solid what i know and learn a bit beyond that, probably just whatever i enjoy + lagrangian dynamics
A.F. Beardon - Algebra & Geometry - a first year maths undergraduate book, will be good maths practise and put me in good stead for (at some point):

Shilov - Linear Algebra (have you ever heard of this / have any ideas?)
Kolmogorv & Fomin - Introductory Real Analysis (heard of this either? it's probably beyond me for a good year or 2 yet but it's there waiting)

I also have a quantum mechanics textbook by Alastair Rae i'll spend a day or 2lookin at and will cover special relativity using Thornton and Goldstein...
It might well sound like an awful lot, but it isn't really, given that i have 3 months spare and probably won't be looking at a great deal of difficult new material...

My apologies for the dryness of this post, however any advice, elaboration, wouldn't go a miss..

(oh and when is it worth investing in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics... I'm working through Electromagnetism by Grant & Phillips so i was wondering whether Jackson would become accessible on finishing with this ?)

Physics news on Phys.org
70 views and not a reply; perhaps if i make it shorter?

What research are you involved in? What type of physics do you plan on doing?

I'm not involved in any research - i am just coming to the end of my first year of undergraduate study.. so the workload i have put across will probably be deemed too much, but i deem maths SO VERY important and...
...that is what i plan on doing! The mathematical / theoretical aspects of physics... that's vague, but probably about as clued up i am right now...

1. What courses should I take in my first year of math undergraduate?

It is recommended to take introductory courses such as Calculus I and II, Linear Algebra, and Discrete Mathematics in your first year. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation for higher level math courses.

2. How can I prepare for math courses before starting my first year?

You can review basic algebra and trigonometry concepts, as well as familiarize yourself with the fundamental principles of calculus and linear algebra. It may also be helpful to practice solving problems from previous math exams or textbooks.

3. Is it necessary to take advanced math courses in my first year?

No, it is not necessary to take advanced math courses in your first year. It is important to build a strong foundation in introductory courses before moving on to more advanced topics.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while taking multiple math courses in my first year?

It is important to prioritize your coursework and create a schedule that allows you to dedicate enough time to each course. Additionally, staying organized and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed can also help manage your workload.

5. What resources are available for extra help in my first year math courses?

Most universities offer tutoring services for math courses, either through the math department or academic resource centers. Your professors may also have office hours where you can ask questions and get extra help. Additionally, there are many online resources and study groups that can provide extra support.