Lasers/Optics/Photonics Research around the world

• Thread starter ratmmmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in laser research and their future plans to pursue a PhD in Laser Physics. They are seeking information on any exotic locations that have opportunities for laser research, preferably near the ocean. Suggestions are given for locations such as Southern California, Hawaii, Mallorca, and Spain. The speaker also mentions working at a Laser Research Lab in Istanbul and participating in a European photonic workshop.
ratmmmb
Hello,

I am currently finishing off my Masters in Lasers Optics and Photonics. I will be doing a PhD for 3 years on Laser Physics starting in the fall.
My question is...I really like doing research involving lasers (all different types and aspects) and that's what I want to do as a profession in the future too. There are plenty of opportunities I know of around Europe and Northern America in particular. Does anybody know of any exotic places (caribbean, bahamas, hawaii, fiji etc etc) that have any laser research at either universities or companies that do optics/photonics/laser research? I really want to live by the ocean (preferably a very warm place) sometime in the future and I was wondering if there were any particular places you can think of. I would probably just want to live there doing research for a few years.

Thanks for any information! :smile: Bye,

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Southern California (LA-San Diego) has lots of small hi-tech aerospace/defense companies. Hawaii has the telescopes on Mauna Kea and the US airforce starfire range on Mauna Loa.

Mallorca: http://ifisc.uib.es/eng/lines/optics.php/

Spain: http://www-fen.upc.es/donll/

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently I work for a Laser Research Lab. which is located in Koc University/Istanbul. Here is a web page about us;

http://portal.ku.edu.tr/~KULaserLab/

Recently we participated to an european photonic workshop which is organised by Phoremost. This year it was in Turkey maybe some of you may have participated.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of lasers/optics/photonics research?

Lasers, optics, and photonics research is aimed at understanding and harnessing the properties of light for various applications. This includes developing new materials, devices, and techniques for communication, energy generation, medical imaging, and more.

2. What are some current advancements in lasers/optics/photonics research?

Some recent advancements in this field include the development of ultrafast lasers for high-precision cutting and drilling, the use of plasmonics to manipulate light at the nanoscale, and the integration of optics and electronics for faster and more efficient computing.

3. How is lasers/optics/photonics research being used in industry?

Lasers, optics, and photonics research has a wide range of industrial applications, including in telecommunications, manufacturing, biomedicine, and defense. For example, lasers are used in fiber optic communication systems, while optics and photonics are used in developing advanced sensors and imaging devices for medical and military use.

4. What are some challenges in lasers/optics/photonics research?

One of the main challenges in this field is developing new materials that can withstand high-powered lasers and perform consistently in different environments. Another challenge is integrating optics and photonics with other technologies, such as electronics and mechanics.

5. How can I get involved in lasers/optics/photonics research?

There are many ways to get involved in this field, including pursuing a degree in a related field (such as physics, engineering, or materials science), attending conferences and workshops, or joining a research team at a university or company. It is also important to stay updated on the latest advancements and technologies through publications and networking with other researchers.