Parametric equations and tangent(s)

In summary, the question is asking to find the point at which the curve x = (1-2cos^2(t), y=(tan(t))(1-2cos^2(t)) crosses itself and the equations of both tangents at that point. The solution involves finding all values of t that satisfy both equations and using them to find the corresponding x and y values. It is important to note that the equation of the tangent line is y=x, but there are two different values of t that give the same x and y values. It is necessary to find all solutions to the equations in order to accurately determine the tangents at the point of intersection.
underivy

Homework Statement

At what point does the curve [tex]x = (1-2cos^2(t)[/tex], [tex]y=(tan(t))(1-2cos^2(t))[/tex] cross itself? Find equations of both tangents at that point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To begin, I figured that x=y when it crosses itself, so I set x=y and got [tex]1 = tan(t)[/tex], so [tex]t=\pi/4[/tex]

Next, I decided to solve for dy/dx:

[tex]dx/dt=4cos(t)sin(t)[/tex]
[tex]dy/dt=4sin^2(t)+sec^2(t)-2[/tex]

[tex]dy/dx=\frac{(dy/dt)}{(dx/dt)}[/tex]

At that point, I plugged [tex]\pi/4[/tex] into my eqn for dy/dx and got that the slope at that point is [tex]1[/tex]

Additionally, I solved for x and y at [tex]\pi/4[/tex] and got that both x and y are 0 when [tex]t=\pi/4[/tex]. Using these points and the slope, I got that the equation of the tangent line is:

[tex]y=x[/tex]BUT

That's just one of them. If the curve is crossing itself once, it clearly has two tangent lines at that point, but I'm not sure how to find it. Is the slope of that line just [tex]-1[/tex]? I guess it might be, but it doesn't seem right to just assume that it is.

Should I have said that [tex]t=n\pi + \pi/4[/tex]? If that is the case, would I just say that [tex]t=5\pi/4[/tex] AND [tex]t=\pi/4[/tex]? Of course, that assumes that I did the rest of the problem properly, and I'm not even sure if I did. I was very ill all last week, so I have no lecture/recitation notes to go by, and my book doesn't have very many examples for me to practice from.

I'm sorry if this is a bad question. :( Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
im not 100% on this, but i don't think its when x=y
i think it means there are two different values of t that give the same x and y values?
but i could be wrong

Given x = f(t), y = g(t), I think the question is to find t0 and t1 such that f(t0) = f(t1) and g(t0) = g(t1). Or to find t and s so that f(t) = f(t+s) and g(t) = g(t+s).

Exactly. Not "y= x" but f(t)= f(s) , g(t)= g(s). (Yes, you could find s such that the second point is t+ s, but I think that's unnecessary and too complicated. And I expect EnumElish eant f(t)= f(s, g(t)= g(s) anyway.)

Shouldn't be too difficult to find all solutions to f(t)= 1- 2cos2(t)= 1- 2cos2(s)= f(s). Now which of those also satisfy g(t)= tan(t)(1-2cos2(t))= tan(s)(1- 2cos2(s))?

delete this post please

Last edited:
Ah, I think I see now. Thanks for the help!

I guess it wasn't enough to simply say:

[tex](1-2cos^2(t) = (tan(t))(1-2cos^2(t))[/tex] and solve for t like I was doing. However, the answer I got for that came out close to what I got for [tex]1- 2cos2(t)= 1- 2cos2(s)[/tex]

I appreciate the help. :)

What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of variables as functions of one or more independent variables, called parameters. They are commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

How are parametric equations different from rectangular equations?

Parametric equations use parameters to represent variables, whereas rectangular equations use variables directly. This allows parametric equations to describe more complex curves and surfaces that cannot be easily expressed with rectangular equations.

What is the tangent of a parametric curve?

The tangent of a parametric curve is a line that touches the curve at a specific point and has the same direction as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

How do you find the tangent of a parametric curve?

To find the tangent of a parametric curve at a specific point, you can use the derivative of the parametric equations. The derivative will give you the slope of the tangent line, which can then be used to find the equation of the tangent line.

Why are parametric equations useful?

Parametric equations are useful because they allow us to describe and analyze complex curves and surfaces in higher dimensions. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic motion. Additionally, they are often used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving motion and forces.