Basketball Rules: When Does a Ball Come to Rest?

• Thread starter bigseths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, the conversation revolves around a rule in basketball that states any time the ball comes to rest in a dribbler's hand, it is a violation. The question is posed whether the ball comes to rest every time it is pushed back to the ground or when it bounces off the backboard. There is a debate over the definition of "at rest" and whether the velocity of the ball must be zero at any time or if it can have a brief pause. Ultimately, it is determined that the ball must not be held in a resting position by the hand and palming is a separate issue.
bigseths
Hello all,

I officiate high school and college basketball. One of our rules concerning a dribble states that any time the ball comes to rest in a dribbler's hand, it is a violation. I won't concern you with all of the details of our argument, but I will pose a question that if answered like I believe it will be, will support my side.

When dribbling a basketball, or even slapping the ball down with your hand, does the ball come to rest everytime it is pushed back to the ground? However short a time it may be.

Or when a ball is shot and bounds off of the backboard, does the ball "come to rest" on the backboard before changing direction?

Thanks in advance for your responses, Seth Smiley

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how you define 'at rest'. If 'at rest' means the velocity of the ball is zero at any time then the answer is yes. If ' at rest' means the velocity is zero at a time interval (can be small but different from zero) then no.

just had a flash back

Wow I just had a flash back to my last physics class. Anyway, I'll bite. So you're telling me that the "time interval" when the ball has a velocity of zero cannot be measured?

I just took a scorekeeper's clinic last week where the officials were talking about this rule (it's CYO basketball, and we follow the standard high school rules). The ball will come to rest at the top of each dribble (vertical velocity goes to zero), and it can pause there briefly, but it cannot be held there with the hand supplying the upward force. Most of our kids don't have big enough hands to hold the ball in that position anyway. Palming the ball is a separate issue.

1. What is the definition of "coming to rest" in basketball?

"Coming to rest" in basketball refers to the moment when the ball completely stops moving, either by hitting the ground or a player's hand. This is important because it determines possession and when the clock should stop in a game.

2. How is a ball deemed to have come to rest in a game?

In basketball, a ball is deemed to have come to rest when there is no longer any visible movement. This can be determined by the officials or through video replay if there is any doubt.

3. Can a ball come to rest while still in a player's possession?

Yes, a ball can come to rest while still in a player's possession. This often happens when a player catches a pass and then stops moving before taking a shot or making a pass. As long as there is no visible movement of the ball, it is considered to have come to rest.

4. Does the ball have to hit the ground for it to be considered at rest?

No, the ball does not have to hit the ground for it to be considered at rest. As long as there is no visible movement of the ball, it is deemed to have come to rest. This can happen when a player catches a pass or when a shot hits the rim and stops moving.

5. What happens when a ball is deemed to have come to rest in a game?

When a ball is deemed to have come to rest, possession is determined based on which team last touched the ball before it came to rest. If a player from one team causes the ball to come to rest, the other team will be awarded possession. The clock will also stop at this point, and play will resume with a new possession.