Linear Conservation of Momentum of electron

In summary, an electron collides elastically with a stationary hydrogen atom, where the mass of the hydrogen atom is 1837 times that of the electron. Momentum is conserved in the collision, and using the equation m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f, it can be rearranged to find the ratio of the kinetic energy of the hydrogen atom after the collision to that of the electron before the collision. The ratio is [2/1838] times the initial velocity of the electron. The hydrogen atom has more than 900 times the velocity of the electron, but how this translates into kinetic energy is unclear.
Gannon
An electron collides elastically with a stationary hydrogen atom. The mass of the hydrogen atom is 1837 times that of the electron. Assume that all motion, before and after the collision, occurs along the same straight line. What is the ratio of the kinetic energy of the hydrogen atom after the collision to that of the electron before the collision? (hydrogen / electron)

Momentum is conserved, so

m1v1i +m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

I can rearrange this to get

v2f = [ 2m1 / (m1 + m2) ] v1i

So this pretty much gives me the ratio I need (final hydrogen in comparison to initial electron). Since m2 = 1837(m1), I get

v2f = [ 2m1 / m1 + 1837m1 ] v1i

Canceling out mass, I get

v2f = [ 2 / 1 + 1837 ] v1i
v2f = [ 2 / 1838 ] v1i

So the hydrogen has more than 900 times the velocity as the electron does? How does this go into KE? This is where I fall apart. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you state that momentum is conserved. What else is conserved in an elastic collision?

To calculate the kinetic energy, we can use the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

For the electron before the collision, the kinetic energy is KE1 = 1/2 * me * v1i^2.

For the hydrogen atom after the collision, the kinetic energy is KE2 = 1/2 * mh * v2f^2.

Substituting in the value for v2f that we calculated above, we get:

KE2 = 1/2 * mh * [2 / 1838]^2 * v1i^2

Since we know that mh = 1837*me, we can simplify this to:

KE2 = 1/2 * [1837*me] * [2 / 1838]^2 * v1i^2

Simplifying further, we get:

KE2 = 1/2 * me * v1i^2 * [2 / 1838]^2 * [1837 / 1837]

KE2 = 1/2 * me * v1i^2 * [2 / 1838]^2 * [1 / 1]

KE2 = KE1 * [2 / 1838]^2

Therefore, the ratio of the kinetic energy of the hydrogen atom after the collision to that of the electron before the collision is:

KE2 / KE1 = [2 / 1838]^2 = 0.000002

This means that the hydrogen atom has a significantly lower kinetic energy compared to the electron before the collision. This is because the mass of the hydrogen atom is much higher than that of the electron, so even though it has a higher velocity, its kinetic energy is still lower.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of linear conservation of momentum and how it relates to kinetic energy in this scenario.

1. What is linear conservation of momentum of electrons?

Linear conservation of momentum of electrons is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system of electrons remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the combined momentum of all the electrons in a closed system will not change unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does linear conservation of momentum apply to electrons?

Electrons, being subatomic particles with mass, also possess momentum. This means that the principle of linear conservation of momentum applies to them just like it applies to larger objects. Any change in the momentum of an electron will be accompanied by an equal and opposite change in the momentum of another electron or another object in the system.

3. Why is linear conservation of momentum important in electron interactions?

Linear conservation of momentum is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrons in interactions. As electrons are constantly moving and interacting with each other, this principle helps us understand how their momenta will change and how they will affect each other's movement.

4. What factors can affect the linear conservation of momentum of electrons?

The linear conservation of momentum of electrons can be affected by external forces such as electromagnetic fields, as well as interactions with other particles such as protons and neutrons. Additionally, the mass and velocity of the electrons themselves can also impact their momentum and how it is conserved.

5. How is linear conservation of momentum of electrons related to other conservation laws?

The principle of linear conservation of momentum of electrons is closely related to other conservation laws in physics, such as the conservation of energy and the conservation of angular momentum. Together, these laws help us understand and describe the behavior of particles and systems in motion.