Guide to Learning Newtonian Mechanics

In summary, for learning the theory of physics with a focus on Newtonian mechanics, University Physics by Young & Freedman is a recommended book. It covers various topics from linear algebra principles to modern physics and has a comprehensive approach. Other books with good problems to solve can also be helpful, such as the Feynmann Lectures on Physics. However, for more detailed information, it is recommended to search through old posts and on websites like Amazon.
WiFO215
What books would you recommend as good books for learning theory of physics. My focus is on Newtonian mechanics. Any other books with good problems to solve will also be nice.
As of now I have the feynmann lectures on physics in PDF format which I printed. Very nice although I'd like a little more detail.
Anirudh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well? Nobody?

there are so many threads about this topic. search old posts and on amazon.

Since you asked a general question ("theory of physics"), I'm going to give you a general answer:
University Physics, by Young & Freedman.
Covers about everything from linear algebra principles to modern physics and is very thorough on a basic level (if you want to go more in-depth you'll definitely need to buy a more specialized book though).

1. What is Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is a branch of classical mechanics developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. It is a set of physical laws that describe the motion and behavior of objects in the presence of forces.

2. Why is it important to learn Newtonian Mechanics?

Learning Newtonian Mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how the physical world operates. It is the basis for many other branches of physics and is necessary for understanding more complex topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

3. What are some key concepts in Newtonian Mechanics?

Some key concepts in Newtonian Mechanics include Newton's laws of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it, and the concepts of momentum, energy, and gravity.

4. How can I apply Newtonian Mechanics in real life?

Newtonian Mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it can be used to understand the motion of objects in sports, the motion of vehicles, and the effects of gravity on objects. It is also essential for engineering and designing structures and machines.

5. What are some good resources for learning Newtonian Mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning Newtonian Mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and educational videos. Some popular resources include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin and the "Mechanics" course on Khan Academy.