Exploring the Science Behind the Power of Hydrogen Bombs vs Atomic Bombs

In summary, a hydrogen bomb is more powerful than an atomic bomb because it contains more fuel, and fusion reactions release more energy than fission reactions.
Shockwavedoom
I am an afficionado of all weaponry, and there is this question I have which has bugged me for a while. What, exactly, makes a Hydrogen bomb different from an atomic bomb? I realize that the explosive is Hydrogen as opposed to Uranium or Plutonium, but why is it more powerful?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is the amount of fuel: E = mc^2, in a hydrogen bomb you use fusion and hydrogen has no critical mass, hence you can have more mass in a safe state before you ignite the bomb. Also fusion relases more energy per unit mass than fission:

http://web.mit.edu/jinseok/www/notes/notes_20031217/notes_20031217.files/image002.jpg

the slope is greater when going from left to right (fusion) than going from right to left (fission)

I hope this gave you the basic explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The binding energy per nucleon is higher for fusion than for fission. In fission, the U-235 or Pu-239 nuclei absorb a neutron becoming excited U-236 and Pu-240 respectively, which then fission releasing about 180 MeV promply (with about 20-25 MeV coming from delayed neutron, gamma and beta-decay in fission products), so fission releases less the 1 MeV/nucleon. The prompt part is key, because a fission device has on the order of 10 microseconds to fission as much as possible before the supercritical mass dissipates.

Fusion (thermonuclear) weapons are actually initiated (triggered) by fission devices. The extreme heat of the fission detonation is used to heat the fusile material (e.g. d+t, or li+d) very rapidly. The d+t fusion reaction releases 14.6 MeV or about 3.5 MeV/nucleon.

Another resource for understanding binding energy is -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html#c2

Last edited:
Well, thanks for clearing that up for me! Always great to learn something new, even at 14 :)

Another 'advantage' of fussion devices is that there is no real liitto how largeyou can make them.
If you make a fission device too small you don't get a criticality and no bang. But if you try and put more fissile material together you get a pre-detonation where the inner part reaches critically and goes bang - blowing away the outer material before it has ha time to react.
In a fusion device, the high temperature allows more hydrogen to fuse, which generates more energy, which fuses more material and so on...

Surprisingly, a fusion reaction releases less energy than a fission one -- about 20 MeV for H2+H3 -> He4 + n, versus 200 MeV for fission. You can have many more fusion reactions per gram of material, though, and as pointed out there is no limit to the size of a fusion bomb. The complete fission of 1 gram of U235 or Pu239 will produce about 70 GJ of energy, while the complete fusion of 1 g of a deuterium/tritium mix will produce 300 GJ.

1. What is the difference between a hydrogen bomb and an atomic bomb?

A hydrogen bomb, also known as a thermonuclear bomb, is a type of nuclear weapon that uses fusion reactions to produce a more powerful explosion than an atomic bomb. An atomic bomb, on the other hand, uses fission reactions to release energy. In simple terms, a hydrogen bomb is more powerful than an atomic bomb.

2. Which bomb caused more destruction in history?

The most destructive nuclear bomb in history was the hydrogen bomb, specifically the Tsar Bomba, which was tested by the Soviet Union in 1961. It had an explosive yield of 50 megatons, making it over 3,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima during World War II.

3. Can a hydrogen bomb be used as a weapon?

Yes, hydrogen bombs have been used as weapons in the past. The United States, Soviet Union, and China have all tested and deployed hydrogen bombs. However, due to their destructive power, there is an international effort to limit the production and use of these weapons.

4. How are hydrogen bombs and atomic bombs created?

Both hydrogen bombs and atomic bombs are created using nuclear reactions. Atomic bombs use fission reactions, where the nucleus of an atom is split into smaller fragments, while hydrogen bombs use fusion reactions, where the nuclei of two atoms combine to form a larger nucleus. The process of creating these bombs involves complex technology and precise timing.

5. Are there any long-term effects of hydrogen bomb and atomic bomb explosions?

Yes, the explosions of hydrogen bombs and atomic bombs have long-term effects on the environment and human health. These effects include radioactive fallout, which can cause cancer and other health problems, as well as environmental damage and long-lasting radiation contamination. The use of these weapons can also have psychological effects on those who witness the destruction and aftermath.