Iterated Integrals - setting up limits of integration

In summary: Is this correct or am I missing something, where the limits of integration also involve using f(x,y)?
mirandasatterley

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region under the graph of f(x,y) = x+y and above the region y2≤x, 0≤x≤9

The Attempt at a Solution

From these equations, x will be integrated from 0-9, but I'm not sure about y.

My thinking is that y will be intgrated from 0-3 because y2≤x and the smallest value of x is 0, and the square root of 0 is 0, so that is the smallest y, and the largest x value possible is 9 and the positive quare root of 9 is 3, so this is the largest value of y,
So I would integrate:

∫0-9∫0-3 (x+y)dydx.

Is this correct or am I missing something, where the limits of integration also involve using f(x,y)?

Physics news on Phys.org
mirandasatterley said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the region under the graph of f(x,y) = x+y and above the region y2≤x, 0≤x≤9

The Attempt at a Solution

From these equations, x will be integrated from 0-9, but I'm not sure about y.

My thinking is that y will be intgrated from 0-3 because y2≤x and the smallest value of x is 0, and the square root of 0 is 0, so that is the smallest y, and the largest x value possible is 9 and the positive quare root of 9 is 3, so this is the largest value of y,
So I would integrate:

∫0-9∫0-3 (x+y)dydx.

Is this correct or am I missing something, where the limits of integration also involve using f(x,y)?
No, that is not correct. The region [itex]a\le x\le b[/itex], [itex]c\le y\le d[/itex], with a, b, c, d numbers is always a rectangle and the figure here is not a rectangle. But the bounds do NOT involve f(x,y)- that is a "z" value and goes inside the integral as you have it.

Always draw a picture for problems like this. y^2= x is a parabola, of course, "on its side". The line x= 9 is a vertical line crossing the parabola at (9,3) and at (9, -3). Yes, you can integrate with x going from 0 to 9. On your picture, mark an arbitrary "x" by marking a point on the x-axis between 0 and 9. Now draw a vertical line from one boundary to the other. The y bounds, for that x, are y values of those endpoints: [itex](x, -\sqrt{x})[/itex], and [itex](x, -\sqrt{x})[/itex]. Your integral is
[tex]\int{x=0}^9\int_{y=-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}} f(x)dy dx= \int{x=0}^9\int_{y=-\sqrt{x}}^{\sqrt{x}}(x+ y) dy dx[/tex]

Of course, like any double integral, you can reverse the order of integration. If you look at your picture you will see that y ranges, overall, from -3 to 3. Draw a horizontal line across the parabola, representing an arbitrary value of y in that range. It will have left endpoint on the parabola: x= y^2, and right endpoint on the vertical line x= 9. Those will now be the limits of integration for this order:
[tex]\int_{y= -3}^3\int_{x= y^2}^9 f(x,y)dx dy= \int_{y= -3}^3\int_{x= y^2}^9(x+ y)dx dy[/tex]

Try it both ways. You should get the same answer.

In a similar situation where i have to switch the order of integration from
∫0-3∫y2-9 f(x,y) dxdy to dydx,

Is this also a parabola on it's side, with intercepts through (3,9) and (0,9), meaning that I would be setting up the new limits of integration, fro the portion of the parabola above y=0?

So, ∫0-9∫Square root of x -3 f(x,y) dydx

What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a type of multiple integral that involves integrating a function over multiple dimensions. It is used to calculate the volume, area, or other quantities of a multi-dimensional region.

How do you set up the limits of integration for an iterated integral?

The limits of integration for an iterated integral are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. They can be set up by finding the limits for each dimension separately and then combining them into a single integral.

What are the different types of iterated integrals?

There are two main types of iterated integrals: double integrals and triple integrals. Double integrals involve integrating over a two-dimensional region, while triple integrals involve integrating over a three-dimensional region.

What are some common applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities such as volume, mass, and work. They are also used in multivariable calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of functions.

What is the relationship between iterated integrals and Riemann sums?

Iterated integrals can be thought of as a generalization of Riemann sums, which are used to calculate the area under a curve. As the number of partitions in a Riemann sum approaches infinity, it becomes equivalent to an iterated integral.