Help Needed: Urgent Calculus Project - When the World Will End

In summary, the conversation is about a project entitled "When the World will End" that uses calculus to find the maximum carrying capacity of the world and determine when humans will surpass the point where there is not enough space or water for them. The project is based on the fact that humans need a certain supply of water and the given information includes the area and volume of the world and its water. The project is not meant to be taken literally and requires the use of calculus, specifically related rates.
Radja24
Hello ladies and gentleman. I need help ONLY because...my project is due tomorrow. BUT dear sirs and siresses, do not fret. I only need some help in some areas (let us hope).

My project is entitled When the World will End. I wanted to make a somewhat, vague creative project, so I chose this project.

The problem I need is how to find the area and the volume of the world, and the volume of the world's water using calculus methods only. I know how to find volume and area, but the variables for finding the area nd volume of the world are confusing.

My goal is to find a maximum carrying capacity of the world using calculus, and then I will use logistic growth to find the time from today to see when the world will end.

My project is based on the fact that humans need a certain supply of water (let's say 1 gallon to start) every day. The point I want to find is what time humans will surpass the point when there is either not enough space or not enough water for humans.

Now i have some givens-

Area of the world- 148.94 sq km
area of the world's water- 361.132 sq km
Approximate volume of the world's water- 326 cubic miles

Physics news on Phys.org
Radja24 said:
Hello ladies and gentleman. I need help ONLY because...my project is due tomorrow. BUT dear sirs and siresses, do not fret. I only need some help in some areas (let us hope).

My project is entitled When the World will End. I wanted to make a somewhat, vague creative project, so I chose this project.

The problem I need is how to find the area and the volume of the world, and the volume of the world's water using calculus methods only. I know how to find volume and area, but the variables for finding the area nd volume of the world are confusing.

My goal is to find a maximum carrying capacity of the world using calculus, and then I will use logistic growth to find the time from today to see when the world will end.

My project is based on the fact that humans need a certain supply of water (let's say 1 gallon to start) every day. The point I want to find is what time humans will surpass the point when there is either not enough space or not enough water for humans.

Now i have some givens-

Area of the world- 148.94 sq km
area of the world's water- 361.132 sq km
Approximate volume of the world's water- 326 cubic miles

Welcome to the PF. The world will not "end" in the scenario you outline. It will be self-limiting if we reach the limits of our water recycling and food growing capabilities. And the volume of the oceans is not really relevant -- more to your point is the volume of fresh water available, and what the natural turnover rate is (evaporation from the oceans and precipitation of fresh water over land).

I'm also not sure how calculus would come into this -- do you mean to use a related rates type of approach?

Oh, and your post is coursework, so it belongs here in the Homework Help forums, where I've moved it.

the world ends thing is supposed to be a catching title lol, but its not meant to be literal. although, i HAVE to use calculus, as i tried to think of more interesting ideas for a calc project but i have only this. i can't use physics

Radja24 said:
the world ends thing is supposed to be a catching title lol, but its not meant to be literal. although, i HAVE to use calculus, as i tried to think of more interesting ideas for a calc project but i have only this. i can't use physics

Have you covered the topic of Related Rates yet? Seems like you might be able to write a few equations that would apply to different parts of the survival puzzle.

1. When will the world end?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively as there is no scientific consensus on when the world will end. Some believe it will be due to natural causes, while others believe it will be due to human actions. However, most scientists agree that the world will likely continue to exist for billions of years before any potential catastrophic event occurs.

2. How can calculus help predict when the world will end?

Calculus, specifically differential equations, can be used to model and predict natural processes such as population growth, climate change, and geological events that could potentially lead to the end of the world. By understanding the underlying mathematical principles, we can better anticipate and prepare for potential future events.

3. What are some potential factors that could lead to the end of the world?

There are many potential factors that could contribute to the end of the world, such as asteroid impacts, supervolcano eruptions, nuclear war, global pandemics, and climate change. These events are often unpredictable and have varying degrees of likelihood, making it difficult to pinpoint an exact timeline for the end of the world.

4. Is there any scientific evidence or research that supports the idea of an impending end of the world?

While there is no scientific evidence or research that definitively proves the end of the world will happen, there are ongoing studies and simulations that explore potential scenarios and their likelihood. However, it is important to approach these ideas with critical thinking and not fall for sensationalist or fear-mongering claims.

5. What can individuals do to help prevent or prepare for the end of the world?

While we cannot control all potential factors that could lead to the end of the world, there are steps individuals can take to mitigate the impact of these events. This includes advocating for responsible and sustainable environmental practices, supporting scientific research and advancements, and being prepared for emergencies and disasters.