Calculating Final Pressure of Gas Mixture in Two Identical Containers

In summary: I am doing wrong?In summary, the key to solving this equation is to think about each container in the final state separately and to use the ideal gas law.
gladius999

Homework Statement

A and B are two identical containers connected by a tap initially closed. A contains an ideal gas at a pressure P1 and temperature T1. B contains the same gas at a pressure P2 and a temperature T2. The tap is the opened. If the temperatures of the containers A and B remain constant at T1 and T2 respectively, the final pressure of the gas mixture will be:

A.(P1+P2)/2
B.(P1+P2)
C.(P1T1+P2T2)/(T1+T2)
D.(P1T2+P2T1)/(T1+T2)
E.(P1/T1 + P2/T2)(T1+T2)

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

P1 X 1 = n1 RT1 P2 X 1=n2 RT2

:( that's all i can do

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From what I see in your attempt, are you assuming volume of B is twice that of A? The question says two identical containers.

The key is that the final pressure is the same in both A and B. Use PV = nRT for both containers, before and after opening the tap.

sorry that was my typing error. I've tried but because the answer does not involve volume or moles i was clueless and did not know how to come to an answer :(

Show us what you've tried, then we can tell you what went wrong!

i figured the partial pressure inside of each container before the tap is open is P1=P2T1/T2 and P2=P1T2/T1 respectively, but i am really lost for wat the final pressure will turn out to be as there are many variables such as change of volume and the pressures of the gases interacting with each other

You're not supposed to assume both containers had the same amt of gas to begin with. The volume of each container doesn't change. The total amount of gas doesn't change. So there aren't that many unknown variables at all! As I said, use PV=nRT for both containers. Lemme do it here:

Let f denote final.

[tex] P_1 V = n_1 RT_1[/tex]

[tex]P_2 V = n_2 RT_2[/tex]

[tex]P_f V = n_{1f} RT_{1} = n_{2f} RT_{2}[/tex]
This should get you started =)

Last edited:
thnx but I am a little confused here. Shudnt PfV=n1fRT1 + n2fRT2 ? i don't see how they can be equal. And how abouts wud i be able to get rid of the n, V and the R because the answer in the multichoice only has P and T? sorry I am only studying AS physics now so i may be making many wrong assumptions please correct me if I am wrong.

this is what i have attempted to work out so far:

P1V=n1RT1 so n1=P1V/RT1
P2V=n2RT2 so n2=P2V/RT2

when tap s is opened total number of moles= n1+n2 =nf (n moles final)

since P=nRT/V,

Pf= ((P1V/RT1+P2V/RT2)RT)/V
Pf= (P1 + P2)/2

But the answers say (P1T2+P2T1)/(T1+T2) is the correct answer so I am assuming i went wrong somewhere?

The reason why you cannot use a single equation for the final state is because both containers are held at different temperatures. Well, if the final temperature for both containers is the same you could say Pf = nfRTf / 2V --This equation treats the whole system (A+B) as a single container of volume 2V. Thus in your case, Pf= ((P1V/RT1+P2V/RT2)RT)/V is therefore incorrect. You have to consider each container in the final state separately.

hmm i see. I am really lost for ideas for what to do next. Somehow i also have to eliminate n and R to get the answer. I've spent a long time on this question can u tell me what to do?

Hi galdius. Welcome to the board. If we draw a control volume around the two identical containers, then in addition to the ideal gas law, we can also apply the first law of thermodynamics. If there is no exchange of heat or work with the surroundings, then what does that say about the total change in internal energy? Note that one container may pick up some mass and the other container may loose a bit, but the entire contents must come to equilibrium (constant pressure and temperature throughout).

Think of it this way, you have a container with a partition that has hot gas on one side and cold gas on the other. You remove the partition and they mix. The hot gas gets colder and the cold gas gets hotter.

To calculate changes in internal energy for an ideal gas, do you know what equation to use? Hint: Cv not Cp

hi Goest, sorry i don't know, I am still in high school 6th form :( i understand that the 2 temperatures will mix but the question states that the temps are kept constant.

Yes, do exactly what you said: you have to eliminate n. This is more of an exercise in algebra than physics, really...

Remember that [tex]n_1 + n_2 = n_{1f} + n_{2f}[/tex]
You can take V, R = 1 without any loss of generality since they appear in the same way in each of the stated equations in post#6 (if you're not convinced, repeat the whole process keeping them in place, you'll see that they cancel out)

So, we sub [tex]n_1 = \frac{P_1}{T_1} , n_2 = \frac{P_2}{T_2}[/tex]
and [tex]n_{2f} = n_{1f} \frac{T_1}{T_2}[/tex] into the equation above.

I'll leave you to finish up the final bits of algebra =)

gladius999 said:
hi Goest, sorry i don't know, I am still in high school 6th form :( i understand that the 2 temperatures will mix but the question states that the temps are kept constant.
I'm sorry, I missed that part. My bad. I see queenofbabes came back and gave you a helpful responce, so I'll leave it at that.

i got: P1/T1 +P2/T2= n1f + n1fT1/T2
simplifies to 2n1f=P1T1/T1T2+P2T1/T2
n1f=(P1T1/T1T2+P2T1/T2)/2

sub into PfV=n1fRT1 assuming V, R =1
Pf=n1fT1
Pf=P1T1/2T2 + P2T1^2/2T2

sorry I am horrible at this, where did i go wrong?

Your second line is wrong...check it again.

YES I THINKS I GOTS IT!

P1/T1 + P2/T2=n1f + n1fT1/T2

simplifies to n1f= ((P1T2/T1)+P2)/T1+T2

since Pf=n1fT1

Pf= ((P1T2/T1)+P2)/T1+T2 X T1
= (P1T2+P2T1)/(T1+T2)
= correct

Thank you very much queenofbabes for your help. Just wondering though, can u only assume R and V as 1? would this still work if u assumed it was 2? and how abouts do u come to think of the relevant equations needed to solve this question?.
Thanks again for your time and effort :)

If you did all your calculations with R and V as they were, you will find that they will all cancel out in the end. Thus it doesn't matter what values they were: they could be anything, but of course assuming R, V = 1 simplifies your working.

And really, if you examine the starting steps, there's nothing more to it than applying PV = nRT to each container, before and after opening the tap, then solving simultaneous equations.

1. What is the formula for calculating final pressure of gas mixture in two identical containers?

The formula for calculating final pressure of gas mixture in two identical containers is Pfinal = Pinitial + Pinitial = 2Pinitial, where Pinitial is the initial pressure in each container.

2. How do you determine the initial pressure of each gas in the containers?

In order to determine the initial pressure of each gas in the containers, you will need to know the number of moles of each gas present and the volume of each container. The initial pressure can then be calculated using the ideal gas law: Pinitial = (nRT)/V, where n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Can the final pressure of the gas mixture in the two containers ever be lower than the initial pressure?

No, the final pressure of the gas mixture in the two containers will always be equal to or greater than the initial pressure. This is because the ideal gas law assumes that there is no change in volume or number of moles of gas in the containers, only a redistribution of the gas particles.

4. What factors can affect the final pressure of the gas mixture in the two containers?

The final pressure of the gas mixture in the two containers can be affected by changes in temperature, changes in the number of moles of gas, or changes in the volume of the containers. Additionally, if there is a chemical reaction occurring in one or both of the containers, the final pressure may also be affected.

5. Is it possible to calculate the final pressure if the gases in the containers are not identical?

Yes, it is still possible to calculate the final pressure of the gas mixture if the gases in the containers are not identical. However, the calculation will be more complex as you will need to take into account the different properties of each gas, such as their molecular weights and gas constants. Additionally, if a chemical reaction is occurring, the final pressure will be affected by the products and reactants involved in the reaction.