Looking for specific magnetic material under pressure

In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and seeking input on materials that exhibit a magnetic or resistant force when under pressure or deformed, which is released when the pressure is released. They are specifically interested in piezomagnetic materials and welcome any input from the forum.
MaskedMarvel
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I'm looking for input. I'm looking for a material that when it comes under pressure or is deformed, develops a magnetic or other resistant force that is released when the pressure is released and it is allowed to return to its original state. This could be on a nano- or molecular level as well as a larger material. I know that certain materials have a piezoelectric effect when under pressure, I'm looking for something that has a magnetic effect when under pressure or when the structure is bent under force. I appreciate any input from the board.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do a search for piezomagnetic materials.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your question is an interesting one and has potential applications in various fields such as material science, engineering, and even biomedical research.

There are several materials that exhibit magnetic properties under pressure, known as magnetostriction. This phenomenon occurs when a material changes its shape or dimensions in response to a magnetic field, and vice versa. Some examples of materials with magnetostriction properties include iron, nickel, cobalt, and their alloys.

In terms of finding a material with a magnetic effect when under pressure or deformation, it would be helpful to further specify the specific type of magnetic effect you are looking for. For example, are you interested in a material with a change in magnetic field strength, direction, or both? This information can help narrow down the search for suitable materials.

Additionally, exploring materials at the nano- or molecular level could potentially lead to the discovery of new materials with unique properties. Some researchers have already begun investigating the effects of pressure on magnetic nanoparticles, which could provide valuable insights for your search.

Overall, I suggest consulting with experts in the field of magnetostriction and materials science to help guide your search for a suitable material. I wish you the best of luck in your research and look forward to hearing about your findings.

1. What is the purpose of looking for specific magnetic material under pressure?

The purpose of this research is to understand how different types of magnetic materials behave under high pressure, as this can reveal important information about their physical and chemical properties and potentially lead to the discovery of new materials with unique magnetic properties.

2. How is the pressure applied in this experiment?

The pressure is typically applied using a diamond anvil cell, which consists of two diamonds with a small sample of the material placed between them. The diamonds are then compressed together to create high pressure conditions within the sample.

3. What types of magnetic materials are being studied under pressure?

A variety of magnetic materials can be studied under pressure, including metals, oxides, and compounds such as iron, cobalt, and nickel. Each material may exhibit unique changes in its magnetic properties under pressure.

4. What techniques are used to study the magnetic properties of these materials?

Several techniques can be used to study the magnetic properties of materials under pressure, such as magnetization measurements, magnetic susceptibility measurements, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These techniques can provide information about the strength, direction, and electronic structure of the material's magnetic field.

5. What potential applications could arise from this research?

The discovery of new magnetic materials under pressure could have significant technological applications, such as in the development of more efficient and powerful magnets for use in motors, generators, and electronic devices. Additionally, understanding how magnetic materials behave under pressure can also have implications for other fields of research, such as geophysics and materials science.