Balancing (in acidic medium)

• Thread starter Jules18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medium
In summary, the balanced equation is 4e- + 11H(+) + Cr2O7(-2) + HNO2 --> 2Cr(+3) + NO3(-) + 6H2O and the coefficient of H2O is 6.
Jules18
Cr2O7(-2) + HNO2 + H(+) --> Cr(+3) + NO3(-) + H2O

The question asks me to balance the above rxn, and then say what the coefficient in front of H2O is.
The answer key says it's 4, but I've tried three times and I keep getting 6.
I've always had trouble with these, so chances are I'm doing it wrong. Here was my attempt, using the half-reaction method.

Cr2O7(-2) --> Cr(+3)

HNO2 --> NO3(-)

1. I balanced Cr and N
2. Added H2O to balance O
3. Added H(+) to balance H
4. Added e- to balance charge
5. Combined both half-rxns into one and canceled terms that were on both sides.

So I got this result:

4e- + 11H(+) + Cr2O7(-2) + HNO2--> 2Cr(+3) + NO3(-) + 6H2O

If anyone could help me on this I'd really appreciate it! Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reaction is balanced correctly. The coefficient of H2O in this equation is 6. The answer key is incorrect.

I can confirm that your attempt to balance the above reaction using the half-reaction method is correct. However, I believe the discrepancy in the coefficient for H2O may be due to the fact that there are multiple ways to balance a chemical equation and still arrive at the same overall reaction. In this case, both 4 and 6 are valid coefficients for H2O. It is possible that the answer key used a different method or approach to balance the equation, leading to a different coefficient for H2O. Therefore, I would suggest double-checking your work and discussing with your instructor or peers to understand the differences in approaches and coefficients. Overall, your attempt is scientifically accurate and valid.

1. How does balancing in acidic medium differ from balancing in basic medium?

When balancing in acidic medium, the number of hydrogen ions (H+) must be equal on both sides of the equation, while in basic medium, the number of hydroxide ions (OH-) must be equal. This is because acidic solutions have a higher concentration of H+ ions, while basic solutions have a higher concentration of OH- ions.

2. What are the steps for balancing a chemical equation in acidic medium?

The steps for balancing a chemical equation in acidic medium are:

1. Write the unbalanced equation.
  2. Identify the elements that are not balanced.
  3. Add H2O molecules to balance the oxygen atoms.
  4. Add H+ ions to balance the hydrogen atoms.
  5. Balance the charges by adding electrons (e-).
  6. Check that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation.
  7. If necessary, multiply the entire equation by the lowest whole number to get rid of any fractions.

3. Why is it important to balance chemical equations in acidic medium?

Balancing chemical equations in acidic medium is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. It also helps us to accurately determine the amount of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when balancing in acidic medium?

Some common mistakes to avoid when balancing in acidic medium are:

• Mistaking H2O molecules for OH- ions.
  • Forgetting to add H+ ions to balance hydrogen atoms.
  • Not checking that the charges are balanced.
  • Not multiplying the entire equation if necessary to get rid of fractions.

5. Can a chemical equation be balanced in both acidic and basic medium?

Yes, a chemical equation can be balanced in both acidic and basic medium. This is because the overall chemical reaction remains the same, but the method for balancing changes depending on the medium.