Need help to using matrix to solve.

• Thread starter oceanhow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, The system of equations given above has three equations with four unknown variables, a, b, and c. It is unclear if the system is overdetermined or underdetermined. The person asking for help is looking for a solution using matrices but is unsure of how to proceed.
oceanhow
Can anyone pls help to solve the solution set of the system of equations given above, where a, b, c are unknowns.

w+5x+6y-z=a
2w+2x+2z=b
-2w-x+y=c

And is the system overdetermined or underdetermined?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three equations in four unknown variables. What do you think?

HallsofIvy said:
You have three equations in four unknown variables. What do you think?

yes, i know that got three equations in four unknowns variables.
So in the question is want to solution with matrix, but i don't know how to start and end the result.
Can u help me?

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and solve systems of linear equations.

How do I use a matrix to solve a system of equations?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, you need to first represent the equations in matrix form. Then use various matrix operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to transform the matrix into reduced row echelon form. The resulting matrix will give you the solution to the system of equations.

What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices, identity matrices, zero matrices, diagonal matrices, upper triangular matrices, and lower triangular matrices. Each type has its own properties and uses in solving mathematical problems.

Can I use matrices to solve non-linear equations?

No, matrices are used to solve systems of linear equations. Non-linear equations require different methods, such as substitution or graphical methods, to find a solution.

Are there any limitations to using matrices to solve equations?

Yes, matrices can only be used to solve systems of equations that have the same number of equations as variables. They also cannot be used to solve equations with irrational or complex numbers.