How to Incorporate Vigorous Exercise into Your Routine

• Medical
  • Thread starter Count Iblis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation discusses various types of exercises that are considered vigorous, including aerobic dance, biking faster than 10 miles an hour, heavy gardening, tennis, jumping rope, swimming laps, hiking uphill, and race walking, jogging, or running. There is some debate about the intensity of these exercises, with one person questioning the inclusion of biking at a speed of 10 miles an hour. However, it is suggested that this speed is meant to differentiate between leisurely biking and more intense biking. Additionally, the conversation touches on the criteria for considering an exercise vigorous, such as elevating heart and respiration rates.
Count Iblis
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704350304574638331243027174.html

Among vigorous-activity exercises are aerobic dance; biking faster than 10 miles an hour; heavy gardening (digging, hoeing); tennis (singles); jumping rope; swimming laps; hiking uphill; race walking, jogging or running.

Doesn't sound like vigorous exercise to me at all. How on Earth can biking at a speed of 10 miles an hour be vigorous exercise? :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
Count Iblis said:

Doesn't sound like vigorous exercise to me at all. How on Earth can biking at a speed of 10 miles an hour be vigorous exercise? :confused:

I think they are just setting an arbitrary limit to make it clear that it shouldn't be leisurely biking. But yeah, 10mph on pavement with a good road bike is pretty leisurely. 10mph in the dirt on a MTB can sometimes be taxing, though, depending on how soft the ground is.

I think they are trying to list activities that elevate the heart rate and respiration rate significantly. The gardening one threw me a bit, but there have been some ditches and such that I've dug that elevated my CV rate...

Count Iblis said:

Agreed, as to why 10 mph--IIRC drag is pretty much negligible from 0 to 10, and then it gets quadratic. Likely a Reynolds number phenomenon.

1. How often should I incorporate vigorous exercise into my routine?

The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week. This breaks down to about 30 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, five days a week or 25 minutes of vigorous exercise, such as running, three days a week.

2. What are some examples of vigorous exercises?

Vigorous exercises are those that increase your heart rate and breathing rate significantly. Examples include running, cycling, swimming, high-intensity interval training, and jump rope. These activities should make you break a sweat and feel slightly out of breath.

3. How can I make time for vigorous exercise in my busy schedule?

Incorporating vigorous exercise into your routine can be challenging, but it's important to prioritize your health and well-being. You can try waking up earlier to fit in a workout before work or using your lunch break to go for a run. You can also break up your exercise into smaller chunks throughout the day, such as 10 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening.

4. Is it necessary to warm up before doing vigorous exercise?

Yes, it is essential to warm up before engaging in vigorous exercise. This helps prepare your body for the physical activity and reduces the risk of injury. A warm-up can include light cardio, such as jogging in place or jumping jacks, followed by some dynamic stretches to loosen up your muscles.

5. What are the benefits of incorporating vigorous exercise into my routine?

Vigorous exercise has numerous benefits for both physical and mental health. It can help improve cardiovascular health, increase muscle strength and endurance, boost metabolism and aid in weight loss. It can also reduce stress, improve mood, and enhance cognitive function. Regular vigorous exercise can also help prevent chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes.

Back