H2O2 and wound care in the field

• Medical
  • Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Wound
In summary, hydrogen peroxide is commonly used for cleaning abrasions and lacerations at athletic events, but some nurses prefer using saline due to its potential toxicity to cells involved in wound healing. Recent research suggests that iodine-based dressings are also effective alternatives. When it comes to deep lacerations that require sutures, sterile saline is typically used for cleaning the wound and stronger topicals may be used around the wound.
berkeman
Mentor
Hydrogen peroxide is routinely used for cleaning abrasions and lacerations at athletic events where I work or volunteer. We use 3% H2O2 to help clean and debride the wounds, prior to dressing and bandaging (typically with Telfa non-stick pads and triple-antibiotic ointment).

But I've heard some nurses comment that they don't like using H2O2 on wounds, since it is toxic to cells involved in the wound-healing process, and delays healing. They would prefer to use saline for the cleaning chores.

I did some googling, and found some good articles. This is one (I haven't read the whole article yet):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1318349/"

I also got an interesting question from a spectator at an event yesterday where I volunteered as an EMT -- "If you had a person with a laceration that was going to be sutured, would you clean it with hydrogen peroxide before suturing?" I think their question came from the cell damage issue raised in the link. Does anybody know the answer? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There was a time when chlorophenols (Dettol etc) were used, but recent work suggests these chemicals may be carcinogenic, so general use has been discontinued/discouraged. Peroxide is a substitute antiseptic.

Another currently favoured practice is the use of iodine based dressings, such as Inadine.

berkeman said:
Hydrogen peroxide is routinely used for cleaning abrasions and lacerations at athletic events where I work or volunteer. We use 3% H2O2 to help clean and debride the wounds, prior to dressing and bandaging (typically with Telfa non-stick pads and triple-antibiotic ointment).

But I've heard some nurses comment that they don't like using H2O2 on wounds, since it is toxic to cells involved in the wound-healing process, and delays healing. They would prefer to use saline for the cleaning chores.

I did some googling, and found some good articles. This is one (I haven't read the whole article yet):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1318349/"

I also got an interesting question from a spectator at an event yesterday where I volunteered as an EMT -- "If you had a person with a laceration that was going to be sutured, would you clean it with hydrogen peroxide before suturing?" I think their question came from the cell damage issue raised in the link. Does anybody know the answer? Thanks.

As you pointed out HP is good for superficial wounds and abrasions. It works on bacteria in a similar method to how our own neutrophils kill them (through a respiratory burst).

Yes, oxidizing agents are damaging to cells, but your cells have many proteins and methods to mitigate damage. Which is why a low percent HP topical solution is so effective at killing bacteria and not your own cells in mass quantities.

Deep lacerations which require sutures are normally cleaned around the wound with stronger topicals such as providone iodine (Inadine for example). The wound itself is cleaned through irrigation with sterile saline (normally through syringe profusion below the level of the wound) and then sutures are administered. Depending on location and severity of the wound prophylactic antibiotics or topical antibiotics/bactericidals can be used to further prevent wound infection.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is H2O2 and how does it help with wound care in the field?

H2O2, also known as hydrogen peroxide, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as an antiseptic agent in wound care. It works by releasing oxygen molecules, which help to kill bacteria and prevent infection in the wound.

2. Is H2O2 safe to use on all types of wounds?

No, H2O2 should only be used on clean, minor wounds. It can be harmful to healthy tissue and delay the healing process if used on deep or contaminated wounds. It is always best to consult a medical professional before using H2O2 on a wound.

3. How should H2O2 be applied to a wound in the field?

H2O2 should be applied using a clean cotton swab or gauze. It is important to gently clean the wound before applying the H2O2. Avoid pouring the solution directly onto the wound, as this can cause damage to healthy tissue.

4. How often should H2O2 be used on a wound in the field?

The frequency of H2O2 application depends on the severity and type of wound. It is generally recommended to use it once or twice a day for minor wounds. However, for deeper or more serious wounds, it is best to follow the instructions of a medical professional.

5. Are there any potential side effects of using H2O2 for wound care in the field?

H2O2 may cause skin irritation or burning sensation when applied to a wound. In rare cases, it can also cause allergic reactions. If you experience any discomfort or unusual symptoms after using H2O2, seek medical attention immediately.