Allergic vs. non-allergic asthma

• Medical
  • Thread starter sprinkaan
  • Start date
In summary, there are two types of asthma - allergic and non-allergic. Non-atopic asthma can be triggered by drugs and chemicals, such as preservatives. From personal experience, some individuals may experience bronchospasms after consuming certain preserved fruit juices, which can be classified as an irritant response rather than an allergic reaction. It is possible that common chemicals are referred to as allergens, but they may not technically produce an allergic response.
sprinkaan
I know there are two types of asthma - allergic and non allergic...
When it comes to triggers for non-atopic asthma, drugs and chemials like preservatives are possible triggers..

From personal experience, I get bronchospasms after only a few mouth-fulls of fruit juice preserved with e.g. Sodium Benzoate. This is usually an immediate reaction. How is this not allergic??

I don't know if my confusion is because of my lack of immunology knowledge, but if you have any ideas..?

Biology news on Phys.org
From my limited knoledge of allergens they are allergic because they posess a sequence of repeating amino acids that our bodies normaly recognize on the surface of parasites. Perhaps simple chemicals in common language are referred to as allergens yet are not technicly produceing an allergeic responce.

1. What is the difference between allergic and non-allergic asthma?

Allergic asthma is triggered by specific allergens, such as pollen, pet dander, or mold, while non-allergic asthma is triggered by irritants such as smoke, air pollution, or cold air.

2. Can a person have both allergic and non-allergic asthma?

Yes, it is possible for a person to have both allergic and non-allergic asthma. In some cases, a person may have both types of asthma triggered by different factors.

3. How can I tell if my asthma is allergic or non-allergic?

If your asthma is triggered by allergens, such as pollen or pet dander, it is likely allergic asthma. Non-allergic asthma is usually triggered by irritants, such as smoke or cold air. A doctor can perform tests, such as a skin prick test or a lung function test, to determine the type of asthma you have.

4. Is treatment different for allergic and non-allergic asthma?

The treatment for allergic and non-allergic asthma is similar, as both types involve inflammation and narrowing of the airways. However, if your asthma is triggered by allergens, your doctor may recommend avoiding these triggers and may also prescribe allergy medications.

5. Can allergic asthma develop into non-allergic asthma?

It is possible for allergic asthma to develop into non-allergic asthma, or for a person to have both types of asthma at the same time. It is important to work with a doctor to determine the triggers for your asthma and develop a treatment plan to manage your symptoms.