Linear Algebra proof with Linear Transformations

In summary, if A is a real symmetric matrix and V is a subspace of R^n, then A(V perp) is contained in V perp.
CDrappi

Homework Statement

Suppose that A is a real symmetric n × n matrix. Show that if V is
a subspace of R^n and that A(V) is contained in V , then A(V perp) is contained in V perp.

Homework Equations

A = A_T (A is equal to its transpose)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a vector [tex]v\in V^\bot[/tex] (what does this mean??).
You'll need to show that [tex]Av\in V^\bot[/tex] (what do you need to show for that?)

I still am not sure what to do. Any further helpings?

What does [tex]v\in V^\bot[/tex] mean??
What does [tex]Av\in V^\bot[/tex] mean??
Just give the definition...

micromass said:
What does [tex]v\in V^\bot[/tex] mean??
What does [tex]Av\in V^\bot[/tex] mean??
Just give the definition...

That a vector v is contained in V perp

That a vector Av is contained in V perp

Yes, of course. But what does it mean that v is contained in [tex]V^\perp[/tex]. What property must hold?

If V = C(B), the column space of some matrix B, then Bv = 0

Hmm, how did you define [tex]V^\bot[/tex]? I remember that it had to do with inner products...

micromass said:
Hmm, how did you define [tex]V^\bot[/tex]? I remember that it had to do with inner products...

Wouldn't [tex]V^\bot[/tex] just be the left nullspace of B?

Yes, but if you're given a set [tex]V^\bot[/tex]. How do you find the matrix B??

micromass said:
Yes, but if you're given a set [tex]V^\bot[/tex]. How do you find the matrix B??

I do not know. Help prease!

Given a subspace V. How did your course define the subspace [tex]V^\bot[/tex]??

For a subspace V spanned by the column space of a matrix V, Ker(VT) returns [tex]V^\bot[/tex] (orthogonal complement to V). If v is in V and vp is in the orthogonal complement, then vp is in Ker(VT). Avp should also be in Ker(VT). If it is, then the inner product of Avp and v should be 0.

Last edited:
Oh. We defined it as whatever part of R^n that V isn't in

Gear300 said:
For a subspace V spanned by the column space of a matrix V, the Ker(VT) returns [tex]V^\bot[/tex].

Can you write the last part of that out to make it a little clearer? I can't understand exactly what you mean.

hmph. it seems you've edited it on me

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and linear transformations. It is a fundamental tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

What is a Linear Transformation?

A Linear Transformation is a function that maps vectors from one vector space to another, while preserving the basic algebraic properties such as addition and scalar multiplication. It can be represented by a matrix and is an important concept in Linear Algebra.

What is a proof in Linear Algebra?

In Linear Algebra, a proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a mathematical statement or theorem. It typically involves using definitions, axioms, and previously proven theorems to arrive at a conclusion.

Why are proofs important in Linear Algebra?

Proofs are important in Linear Algebra because they provide a rigorous and systematic way of understanding and verifying mathematical concepts and theorems. They also help in developing problem-solving skills and building a solid foundation for further studies in mathematics.

What are some common techniques used in Linear Algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in Linear Algebra proofs include direct proofs, proofs by contradiction, and proofs by induction. Other techniques may involve using properties of matrices, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear transformations.