The sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal

• Thread starter frankusho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal is a nil left ideal. This means that when you add an element from a nilpotent left ideal to an element from a nil left ideal, the result will also be nilpotent. This is because both types of ideals contain only nilpotent elements, so the sum will also only contain nilpotent elements. This property is useful in algebraic structures and can help simplify certain calculations.
frankusho
1. Show that the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal is a nil left ideal.

2. The attempt at a solution

So far, I have no idea where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
A left deal I of a ring R is left nilpotent if there is a positive integer n > 0 such that In=0

A nil left ideal is a left ideal in which every element is nilpotent, i.e. for all i in I there exists a n>0such that in=0

So take an arbitrary element from a nilpotent left ideal and an arbitrary element from a nil left ideal and add them. What do you get? What should you get?

1. What is a nilpotent left ideal?

A nilpotent left ideal is an ideal in a ring that consists entirely of nilpotent elements, meaning that their powers eventually become zero.

2. What is a nil left ideal?

A nil left ideal is an ideal in a ring where all of its elements are nilpotent, meaning that their powers eventually become zero.

3. What is the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal?

The sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal is the set of all possible sums of elements from both ideals. This sum is also a nil left ideal.

4. Why is the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal important?

The sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal has important applications in ring theory and algebraic structures. It can help in understanding the structure of rings and their ideals.

5. How is the sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal calculated?

The sum of a nilpotent left ideal and a nil left ideal is calculated by taking the set of all possible sums of elements from both ideals. This sum is also a nil left ideal.