Textbooks in engineering for mathematicians and physicists.

In summary, for someone with a background in the pure sciences, I would suggest the following textbooks for topics in engineering such as information theory, control theory, solid and fluid dynamics, and aeronautics and aerodynamic engineering: "Intermediate Fluid Mechanics" by Nunn, "Computational Fluid Dynamics" by Anderson, "Rocket Propulsion Elements" by Sutton, "Convection Heat Transfer" by Bejan, and "Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer" by Siegal & Howell. These graduate level texts are highly recommended and present the material from a perspective of applied physics and math.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I would like it if you can recommend me textbooks in Engineering that are geared to people from the pure sciences.

mainly on topics such as information theory, control theory, Solid and Fluid dynamics and Aeronautics & Aerodynamic Engineering.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend the following for solid and fluid mechanics:

* Any good graduate level textbook on continuum mechanics
* Intermediate Fluid Mechanics by Nunn

Thanks.

Any other recommendations on the other topics?

Also consider:

* Computational Fluid Dynamics by Anderson
* Rocket Propulsion Elements by Sutton
* Convection Heat Transfer by Bejan
* Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer by Siegal & Howell

These are graduate level texts I used in graduate school for mechanical engineering. They are very good and presented from the point of view of applied physics and math.

As a scientist in the field of engineering, I can recommend several textbooks that would be beneficial for mathematicians and physicists looking to expand their knowledge in engineering topics. For information theory, I suggest "Elements of Information Theory" by Thomas M. Cover and Joy A. Thomas. This book covers fundamental concepts and applications of information theory in a clear and concise manner.

For control theory, I recommend "Modern Control Engineering" by Katsuhiko Ogata. This textbook provides a comprehensive overview of control systems, including feedback control, state-space analysis, and digital control, making it a valuable resource for those interested in this topic.

In terms of solid and fluid dynamics, "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by John D. Anderson Jr. is an excellent choice. This book covers the basics of aerodynamics, including compressible flow, airfoils, and wings, making it a great resource for those interested in aeronautics and aerodynamic engineering.

Additionally, for those looking to delve deeper into aeronautical engineering, "Introduction to Flight" by John D. Anderson Jr. is a highly recommended textbook. It covers topics such as aircraft performance, stability and control, and propulsion systems.

I hope these recommendations are helpful in your search for textbooks in engineering. These books are widely used in engineering courses and are written in a way that is accessible for individuals with backgrounds in mathematics and physics. Happy learning!

1. What is the difference between engineering textbooks and textbooks for mathematicians and physicists?

Engineering textbooks focus on the practical application of mathematical and scientific principles in the design and development of products and systems. Textbooks for mathematicians and physicists, on the other hand, focus more on the theoretical understanding of these principles.

2. Are engineering textbooks suitable for mathematicians and physicists?

It depends on the specific textbook and the level of understanding of the mathematician or physicist. Some engineering textbooks may be too advanced or specialized for those without a strong background in engineering, while others may provide valuable insights for those with a strong mathematical or scientific foundation.

3. How important is it for mathematicians and physicists to have a background in engineering?

It is not necessary for mathematicians and physicists to have a background in engineering, as their expertise lies in different areas. However, having a basic understanding of engineering principles can be beneficial in certain fields, such as applied mathematics or physics.

4. Do textbooks in engineering for mathematicians and physicists cover the same topics as traditional engineering textbooks?

In general, yes. However, textbooks for mathematicians and physicists may approach these topics from a more theoretical or mathematical perspective, while traditional engineering textbooks may focus more on practical applications and industry standards.

5. Are there any specific textbooks in engineering that are recommended for mathematicians and physicists?

There is no one specific textbook that is recommended for all mathematicians and physicists. It is important to consider the specific field or topic of interest, as well as the level of understanding and background in engineering, when choosing a textbook. Consulting with colleagues or professors in the field can also provide valuable recommendations.