Engineering equivalent to ArXiv?

In summary: Thank you for the information.In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an open access archive for engineering topics, similar to ArXiv. The mention of a potential site, vixar.org, is not recommended due to lack of quality control. It is noted that there is currently no equivalent for engineering topics.
Aaronvan
I'm wondering of there is an open access archive of engineering topics, similar to ArXiv. Does anyone have any information?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aaronvan said:
I'm wondering of there is an open access archive of engineering topics, similar to ArXiv. Does anyone have any information?

Try http://vixar.org (spells like arxiv but backward). It is functionally equivalent.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

Last edited by a moderator:
kowalskil said:
Try http://vixar.org (spells like arxiv but backward). It is functionally equivalent.

Not functionally equivalent. The site you mention does not screen for quality, so the intelligibility and coherence of the submissions are, on average, lower than arXiv. I wouldn't recommend that anyone go there for engineering-related information.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to the OP's question, other than to suggest the obvious: Google Books, Google Scholar, eFunda, Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also doesn't cover engineering. To my knowledge, there is no ArVix equivalent for engineering.

boneh3ad said:
It also doesn't cover engineering. To my knowledge, there is no ArVix equivalent for engineering.

You are correct. There is no quality control; anyone can post what they want. By "equivalent" I meant a site at which one can store preprints, or unpublished papers.

boneh3ad said:

Maybe someone will fill that space then.

What is "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv"?

"Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" refers to a platform or website that provides a central repository for engineering research papers, similar to how ArXiv serves as a central repository for physics and mathematics research papers.

Why is an "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" needed?

An "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" is needed to make engineering research papers more easily accessible to the scientific community. It also allows for easier sharing and collaboration among engineers, and can help to promote the visibility and impact of engineering research.

What types of engineering research papers are typically available on an "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv"?

An "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" typically contains a wide range of engineering research papers, including those in the fields of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and more.

How is an "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" different from other engineering databases?

Unlike other engineering databases, an "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" is open access, meaning that anyone can access and download the research papers for free. It also allows for preprint submissions, meaning that research papers can be shared before they are officially published in a journal.

How can I submit my engineering research papers to an "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv"?

Most "Engineering equivalent to ArXiv" platforms have a submission process similar to ArXiv, where you can create an account and upload your paper. Some platforms may also require the paper to meet certain criteria, such as being in a specific format or covering a specific engineering topic.