Algebra I Self-Study Book for Physics Students

In summary, the individual is seeking a book for self-study in Algebra, specifically in the areas of integers, groups, rings and fields, polynomials' ring, and partially ordered sets. They have been recommended "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra" by a professor at the University of Calgary, which has a strong introductory section and is highly recommended for self-study.
Tosh5457
I need a book to self-study, because in Physics we don't have this discipline. The only mathematics I learned were linear algebra and calculus for multivariate functions. The things I need to know are (these is my university's Algebra I):

- Integers
- Groups, rings and fields
- Polynomials' ring
- Partially ordered sets

Physics news on Phys.org
I would highly recommend a book written by a professor at the University of Calgary, who I actually have the privilege of taking Algebra I and II with, called "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra". http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471331090/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It has a very good introductory section that introduces notation and any pre-requisite knowledge on Sets, Proof Techniques, Mappings, Relations, etc. before actually jumping into the content and it is highly recommended for self study. I'm sure you can find a cheaper version somewhere... that is an extremely overpriced copy listed on amazon.

1. What is the purpose of this Algebra I Self-Study Book for Physics Students?

The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive review of algebraic concepts and their applications in physics. It is designed for students who may have a weak background in algebra but need a strong understanding of it for their physics studies.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it meant to be used with a teacher?

This book is suitable for both self-study and classroom use. It is designed to be self-contained and includes explanations, examples, and practice problems for students to work through independently. However, it can also be used as a supplement to a teacher-led course.

3. Does this book cover advanced algebra topics or is it limited to basic concepts?

This book covers a wide range of algebra topics, from basic concepts such as solving equations and graphing to more advanced topics such as logarithms and complex numbers. It is suitable for students at the high school or introductory college level.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this Algebra I Self-Study Book for Physics Students?

Some familiarity with algebraic concepts is recommended, but there are no strict prerequisites for using this book. It is designed to be accessible to students who may have limited prior knowledge of algebra.

5. Are there any additional resources or support available for using this book?

Yes, the author of this book has created an online companion course that includes video lectures, practice problems, and additional resources to supplement the material covered in the book. This course can be accessed for an additional fee.