Doubts regarding Atomic mass,relative atomic mass and mass number.

So the "relative mass" of an atom is the mass of that atom compared to 1/12th of the mass of C-12. In summary, atomic mass is the ratio of the mass of an atom to 1/12th of the mass of C-12, and it is not exactly the same as mass number. The atomic mass of an element is the weighted average of the masses of its isotopes, and the relative atomic mass is the mass of an atom compared to 1/12th of the mass of C-12.
rishch
I was reading my science textbook and they have introduced the concepts of atomic mass,relative atomic mass and mass number.Here are some doubts I have-

1)Is atomic mass a ratio ?
2)1/12th of a C-12 atom is half a proton,half a neutron and half an electron.Since mass of an electron is negligible and since 1 proton=1 neutron,1/12th of a C-12 atom is basically the mass of one proton or one neutron.A hydrogen atom has 1 proton so why didn't they take 1u = mass of 1 hydrogen atom?
3)Also,if 1u = mass of a proton = mass of a neutron aren't mass number and atomic mass the exact same thing ?
4)In my book the atomic mass of Chlorine is given as 35.5.How can an atom have half a neutron or proton ?
5)Can someone please explain what relative atomic mass is along with an example as in my book just the definition is given and I couldn't understand a thing.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rishch said:
1)Is atomic mass a ratio ?

It's mass of an atom in atomic mass units. So you could say it's the ratio of the mass of the atom to that of 1/12 of the mass of C-12.

rishch said:
2)1/12th of a C-12 atom is half a proton,half a neutron and half an electron.Since mass of an electron is negligible and since 1 proton=1 neutron,1/12th of a C-12 atom is basically the mass of one proton or one neutron.A hydrogen atom has 1 proton so why didn't they take 1u = mass of 1 hydrogen atom?

I dunno, historical reasons I guess. Probably has to do with the fact that C-12 has the same number of neutrosn and protons. And 1/12 of the mass of C-12 is half a proton, half a neutron and 1 electron (not half an electron).

rishch said:
3)Also,if 1u = mass of a proton = mass of a neutron aren't mass number and atomic mass the exact same thing ?

1u is not exactly the mass of a proton, you said so yourself. However, since neutrons and protons have similar masses and electrons have very small masses, mass numbers and atomic mass values do look alike.

rishch said:
4)In my book the atomic mass of Chlorine is given as 35.5.How can an atom have half a neutron or proton ?

It doesn't. That's the average mass of a chlorine atom in nature, taking into account isotopic abundance. Chlorine has basically two isotopes; Cl-35 (76% of all chlorine) and Cl-37 (24% of all chlorine). So the weighted average is:

35*0.76 + 37*0.24 = 35.5
rishch said:
5)Can someone please explain what relative atomic mass is along with an example as in my book just the definition is given and I couldn't understand a thing.
I don't know what you mean by "relative atomic mass". The word "relative" probably comes from the fact that you measure the mass of an atom relative to the C-12 atom. If an atom has isotopes in nature, its mass is usually given as a weighted average of the masses of its isotopes (as I explained just above).

1. What is the difference between atomic mass, relative atomic mass, and mass number?

Atomic mass refers to the mass of an individual atom of an element, measured in atomic mass units (amu). Relative atomic mass, also known as atomic weight, is the average mass of all the isotopes of an element, taking into account their relative abundances. Mass number, on the other hand, is the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom.

2. How are these three terms related to each other?

Atomic mass and relative atomic mass are both measures of the mass of an atom, but atomic mass specifically refers to the mass of a single atom while relative atomic mass takes into account the different isotopes of an element. Mass number is related to atomic mass as it is the sum of the number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus.

3. How is atomic mass determined?

Atomic mass is determined by the mass of each isotope of an element and its relative abundance. This information is obtained through experiments such as mass spectrometry. The atomic mass is then calculated by multiplying the mass of each isotope by its abundance and summing these values together.

4. Why is relative atomic mass a decimal number?

Relative atomic mass is a decimal number because it takes into account the different isotopes of an element and their relative abundances. Isotopes have different masses due to variations in the number of neutrons in the nucleus, resulting in a weighted average of all the isotopes' masses.

5. How does the concept of atomic mass relate to the periodic table?

The atomic mass of an element can be found on the periodic table, usually listed below the element's symbol. This value is the relative atomic mass of the element, taking into account the different isotopes and their relative abundances. The atomic mass also helps to determine the placement of elements on the periodic table, as they are arranged in order of increasing atomic mass.