Need some help with Mathematical Finance

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for a rigorous introduction to Mathematical Finance. Suggestions include checking out the Wilmott forums and books such as "Monte Carlo methods in finance" and "Macroeconomic Theory." A good understanding of differential equations is also recommended.
gangsta316
Can anybody provide some resources (books, websites etc. - preferably websites or course notes) for a (somewhat rigorous) introduction to Mathematical Finance? Basically, I want to have the background to understand stuff like this

http://www3.stat.sinica.edu.tw/library/c_tec_rep/c-2002-10.pdf

I have studied stochastic processes and standard analysis. I have resources for studying Brownian motion but the main thing I need to learn about is the stochastic differential equations, in a somewhat rigorous manner. Many thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey gangsta316.

You should probably check out the Wilmott forums for educational references and suggestions.

http://www.wilmott.com/index.cfm?NoCookies=Yes&forumid=1

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the Jaeckel book "Monte Carlo methods in finance" as well as the Hull & White (now maybe just Hull) on options.

I personally recommend, for a very thorough introduction into multiple models of Macroeconomics:
Macroeconomic Theory: Economic Theory, Econometrics, and Mathematical Economics by Thomas J. Sargent.

Just have a very good working knowledge of your differential equations, in order to fully appreciate the book.

Sure, I would be happy to provide some resources for you to learn more about Mathematical Finance. First, I would recommend taking a look at the following websites:

1. The QuantLib Library (https://www.quantlib.org/): This is a free, open-source library for quantitative finance that includes a wide range of mathematical models, pricing engines, and tools for financial instrument valuation.

2. QuantStart (https://www.quantstart.com/): This website offers a comprehensive introduction to mathematical finance, including topics such as stochastic calculus, option pricing, and risk management.

3. Coursera (https://www.coursera.org/): This online learning platform offers several courses on mathematical finance, including "Introduction to Mathematical Finance" and "Stochastic Processes and Applications in Mathematical Finance."

In addition to these websites, here are some books that may be helpful for your studies:

1. "An Introduction to Mathematical Finance" by Sheldon M. Ross: This book provides a rigorous introduction to the mathematical concepts and techniques used in finance, including stochastic calculus and option pricing.

2. "Stochastic Calculus for Finance I: The Binomial Asset Pricing Model" by Steven E. Shreve: This book is a classic in the field of mathematical finance and provides a thorough treatment of stochastic calculus and its applications in finance.

3. "Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives" by John C. Hull: This book is widely used in academic and professional settings as a comprehensive guide to derivatives, including mathematical models and pricing techniques.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your studies of mathematical finance. Best of luck!

What is mathematical finance?

Mathematical finance is a field of study that applies mathematical and statistical methods to financial problems and models. It incorporates concepts from economics, probability, and statistics to analyze and predict financial markets and make informed investment decisions.

What are the main areas of mathematical finance?

The main areas of mathematical finance include derivatives pricing, risk management, portfolio management, and quantitative trading. Derivatives pricing involves using mathematical models to value financial instruments such as options and futures. Risk management uses mathematical techniques to assess and manage financial risk. Portfolio management uses mathematical models to construct and manage investment portfolios. Quantitative trading involves using mathematical and statistical models to make investment decisions and execute trades.

What are some common mathematical models used in finance?

Some common mathematical models used in finance include the Black-Scholes model, the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM), and the Markowitz portfolio theory. These models help to predict and understand the behavior of financial markets and assets, and are used in a variety of applications such as pricing derivatives, estimating asset returns, and constructing optimal portfolios.

What skills are needed to work in mathematical finance?

To work in mathematical finance, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming. Knowledge of economics, financial markets, and financial instruments is also essential. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work with large datasets are also important for success in this field.

Can mathematical finance be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, mathematical finance has numerous practical applications in the real world. It is used by financial institutions, investment firms, and government agencies to analyze and manage financial risk, make investment decisions, and develop financial products. It is also used in industries such as insurance, energy, and telecommunications to analyze and manage financial risk and make strategic decisions.